Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Norton Internet Security 2009  (Read 27287 times)

Offline marcoscu

• PcWinTech Member
Norton Internet Security 2009
« on: November 19, 2008, 01:21:47 AM »
I always hated earlier Norton firewalls and related network security applications since they were resource hogs, difficult to uninstall and generally painful to use.

For the last few days I have been experimenting with NIS2009 and so far have found it quick to install, very user friendly, seems not impact at all on system performance and is non intrusive in use. Mind you when I removed it I found a load of garbage left behind that I had to delete with the Norton Uninstall tool (separate from the application's built in installer) and a registry editor.

The firewall seems effective but not so easy to configure as some.

Does anyone else out there have any experiences of this new Symentec firewall suite?

PcWinTech.com Forums

Norton Internet Security 2009
« on: November 19, 2008, 01:21:47 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re:Symantec
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 07:35:19 AM »
I cant stand Norton at all.the 2009 I havent tried yet, but the firewall I use and have used for a while now if the free Comodo http://www.comodo.com/

A while back I had seen some firewall tests and this one was the only one that blocked everything! and wants great is it hasn't slowed the system down for me so far and does its job well.

I use avast for my antivirus.

Norton will soon start to slow your system down. Norton is notorious for running fine at first but then slowing it self down to a crawl.

You couldn't pay me to use it at this point lol

This is merely my option my experience, ask others and see what they say then make a informed decision.

Take care
-Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
I use NIS2009 (Norton
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:55:59 AM »
I use NIS2009 (Norton Internet Security 2009, if anyone was wondering) and COMODO on different machines.  The Norton security products prior to 2009 were resource hogs and I had heard mostly negative views on them.  Norton (Symantec) listened and built NIS2009 from the ground up and it actually works very well.  It doesn't overrun your system.  If you have it already or you want to be able to go with customer support then it's a good choice.  I agree with you about the configuration of NIS2009.

Most major reviewers give NIS2009 good reviews, but most say COMODO is better (and free).  I haven't tried uninstalling NIS2009 yet so thanks for the heads up.

Overall, strictly regarding firewalls, I prefer COMODO.

Let me know if I can provide any other feedback or if you have any questions.

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Boofo

Norton Internet Security 2009 User
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 02:29:17 AM »
I was a long time user of Comodo Firewall but it really started slowing down my old P4 2.8 GHZ system. Maybe on the duo and quad cores it runs all right, but not on the older single cores. It is a resource hog on older systems.

NIS 2009 is a 100% improvement over past versions of NIS. They really did things right this time. It is fast, lean and no resource hog. You can hardly tell it is even running. As far as settings goes, I found Comodo way harder to configure than NIS. If you look at the testing done this year on firewalls, Comodo didn't come out on top like it usually does. NIS pretty well beat it in some areas.

I am a long time Norton hater, ever since Peter Norton got away from it. But if they can repeat what they did this year, next year, then I might stick with it for a while. But I will never go back to Comodo. I think Comodo is more hype than anything else.

Thanks
-Robert

PcWinTech.com Forums

Norton Internet Security 2009 User
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 02:29:17 AM »

email