Author Topic: Port Forwarding for CCTV Camera Set Up  (Read 3203 times)

Offline Laurence

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Port Forwarding for CCTV Camera Set Up
« on: October 16, 2012, 05:11:45 AM »
Hi Shane,
My apologies in advance as this is likely to be quite a lengthy query!
1. I bought the Pro version of "Simple Port Forwarding" on line yesterday.
2. The purpose of purchasing the program was to be able to port forward a CCTV camera set up to enable on line viewing of the CCTV images.
3. The CCTV camera set up consists of a broadband connection with a Static IP to a Thomson 587n router which in turn is connected to an Axis M7014 Video Encoder with its own IP address and two CCTV cameras are connected to the encoder.
4. I opted to complete the port forwarding from the comfort of my office as the above mentioned equipment is located in the basement of a building that is many miles from where I am.
5. Therefore, first question: Can I complete the port forwarding from a remote location?
6. If the answer to this is yes, I had a problem in that the port forwarding software appeared to assume that I wanted to port forward at this location using the router to which the respective computer is attached. The broadband connection in question does not have a Static IP, and actually, due to the fact that I am in a rural location which still has old cabling, my ISP advises that it is not possible to have a static IP address here.
7. As a consequence of the above, my desk top computer lost its connectivity even though the broadband connection itself was unaffected. This proved fatal to the computer and I have had to reinstall the computer's operating system to the original factory settings. Next question therefore: Can I stop the software assuming that I want to port forward at this location before it affects the computer?
8. As far as the Static IP address codes are concerned, I have all of those available (IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, Reverse DNS Entry). I assume that these should be entered in the appropriate boxes to replace the automatically entered codes which are wrong as they are those that belong to the connection here rather than at the location where we are port forwarding.
9. I have an IP address for the Axis M7014 encoder but no other codes for the encoder. Therefore, two more questions: (i) Do I need any other codes for the encoder? and, (ii) Where are the encoder code or codes inserted into the software?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.
Laurence

PcWinTech.com Forums

Port Forwarding for CCTV Camera Set Up
« on: October 16, 2012, 05:11:45 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Port Forwarding for CCTV Camera Set Up
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 02:23:57 PM »
5. Therefore, first question: Can I complete the port forwarding from a remote location?

You have to be able to log into the router at the remote location. So you can either see if that router has a remote admin feature, or just install teamviewer on a computer at the remote location. This will allow you to control that computer and run Simple Port forwarding from there :wink:

6. If the answer to this is yes, I had a problem in that the port forwarding software appeared to assume that I wanted to port forward at this location using the router to which the respective computer is attached. The broadband connection in question does not have a Static IP, and actually, due to the fact that I am in a rural location which still has old cabling, my ISP advises that it is not possible to have a static IP address here.

7. As a consequence of the above, my desk top computer lost its connectivity even though the broadband connection itself was unaffected. This proved fatal to the computer and I have had to reinstall the computer's operating system to the original factory settings. Next question therefore: Can I stop the software assuming that I want to port forward at this location before it affects the computer?

The static IP is only needed when your system is behind a router and you want a port forwarding rule set to it. If your local IP changes then the port forwarding rule wont work. In this case you dont need to worry about a static Ip as your computer has no need for one.

9. I have an IP address for the Axis M7014 encoder but no other codes for the encoder. Therefore, two more questions: (i) Do I need any other codes for the encoder? and, (ii) Where are the encoder code or codes inserted into the software?
I look forward to hearing from you.

You need to set things up on the remote side where the the CCTV is. Teamviewer is a fast solution to that. Then once are able to connect to it lets get started on the port forwarding :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

Re: Port Forwarding for CCTV Camera Set Up
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 02:23:57 PM »