Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Router using port 80 after triggering  (Read 9167 times)

Offline phurl

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Router using port 80 after triggering
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »
Hi guys,

Ran into a problem with port forwarding recently - I cannot forward a port that is apparently being used by my router. Maybe someone here can help?

Over the weekend I attempted to forward some ports on my Netgear WNR1000v2 so that I could play Guild Wars 2. That didn't appear to work, so I tried triggering the ports instead. That didn't work either, so I disabled those rules and ticked off the checkbox Disable Port Triggering.

Shortly after the port triggering attempt, I noticed that when attempting to connect to my router the dialog box would say "The server 192.168.1.1:80 requires a username and password."

Additionally, I downloaded PCWinTech's Simple Port Tester and noticed that port forwarding apparently works now (or it always did and I never noticed) for all ports except port 80 TCP. The Status column says "Port in use." and Open? column says "Failed".

I'm not certain that port triggering was what caused this problem, but the two events happened near simultaneously and seem connected. If you think something else may have caused this, feel free to move the thread elsewhere.

Anyway, I can't find any options on the router settings for disabling this utilization of port 80 and my normally strong Google-fu turned up no results nor help for resolving the issue. Shane mentioned this issue in a previous thread (http://forums.pcwintech.com/index.php?topic=2055.0) but the other user ended up having a different problem. Does anyone know what may be wrong with my router or how to fix it? Thanks!

PcWinTech.com Forums

Router using port 80 after triggering
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Router using port 80 after triggering
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »
You dont need to do any port forwarding or triggering when playing an online game that is hosted on the net.

You only need to open ports on your end if your hosting. In this case you are not.

The ports guild wars 2 list are ports you want to make sure your firewall software (If you have any) will let through. :wink:

Again, you only need to port forward if your hosting something, otherwise your good.

I play guild wars 2 myself. You need to make sure the firewall on your system is allowing it through. Some antiviruses have firewalls in them and users sometimes dont realize that.

If you dont have a firewall and only have the Windows firewall make sure the windows firewall is set to allow the game through both home and public profiles. I have seen where people have their system set to have the firewall use the public profile instead of home. A lot of times the game isnt allowed through the public profile.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline phurl

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 01:42:16 PM »
Oh. The GW2 support site mentions port forwarding and references portforward.com for the specific error code I got when running the game, so I guess I kind of jumped to conclusions. How embarrassing.

I think my router is still using port 80. Is that normal? Or is there some way I can disable that?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 01:48:03 PM »
The router uses port 80 for its web interface. Mine does as well as do all of them. Still shouldn't get in the way of the game. :wink:

When they mention port forwarding they might be referring to the firewall in a router.

Check your firewall settings on the computer and lets go from there :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline phurl

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 01:52:50 PM »
Thanks for the quick and informative replies Shane! Sorry you have to deal with network newbs like me (often, probably) :)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 02:10:40 PM »
No problem at all :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 02:10:40 PM »