Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Extending Lan by adding Router?  (Read 7160 times)

Offline needzo

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Extending Lan by adding Router?
« on: July 25, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »
The IT-challenged company I work for is expanding to a building 100 feet away.  There is another business between our 2 buildings.

We can run ethernet cable from one building to the other through the other business's building.  This is mostly an interior run, but will cross a 20' foot drive between buildings.

I can almost understand the directions in this post about how to extend a wired LAN:
http://forums.pcwintech.com/index.php?topic=2967.0

One thing that isn't clear to me is where the directions say "the simplest solution is to run 1 cable from the modem to a switch in the other building. Then have everyone hooked into the switch."  Our modem (RCA DCM425) has 1 coaxial connection (the cable/DSL line itself, right?) and 1 network cable, which connects to our existing router (Cisco-Linksys E1000).

I can't run another cable from the modem to a switch in the other building without disconnecting the existing router.  Can I use one of the router ports to run a network cable across the 20' outside run and 100' interior run to a switch in the other building?  What kind of switch should this be?  Should this network cable run go through another router to help with signal strength?

We would also like to have wi-fi in the new building.  Does that impact the switch and/or router we use, and how we install?

Thanks for your consideration and assistance.

Greg

PcWinTech.com Forums

Extending Lan by adding Router?
« on: July 25, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Extending Lan by adding Router?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 03:22:32 PM »
A switch is simply a way to take one connection and make more from them.

There are no settings or any changes. It is simply getting more ports.

So from the linksys in the one building you will run a network cable from it to the new building.

At the new building you will plug that cable into a switch. Which is basically taking that one cable and making more ports for it. Then anything plugged into that switch will be on the same network with the linksys and the other systems :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline needzo

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »
Shane - Thanks for the response.

Are we dealing with any loss-of-quality by extending such a long run of cable from the modem/router in the first building (and then there will probably be 50' foot + additional from the switch to some workstations)?

Can the switch provide wi-fi in the new building, or do we just need to connect an additional wi-fi router to the switch in the new building?

Thanks again.

Greg

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:59:10 AM »
With good cable you can run 350 ft before any loss of signal.

If you need wireless in the other building you can just hook up another wireless there. With a few tweaks to the settings you can have it still be on the same network witht he other computers instead of it acting like another router, thus making a 2nd network. :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:59:10 AM »