Author Topic: netbook says im connected but i cant get online from our network  (Read 19038 times)

Offline aminah

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
ok so im trying to connect my Acer aspire one to our wifi network and it tells me i am online with full signal but it doesnt let me actually go online. i am able to connect from any unsecured network ( thats what im on now) but the signal is super weak on these and since we are paying for one, id like to use it.... :\i was thinking the problem was just with connecting to a secured network, but thats not the case since i brought it to my friends house and was able to connect to her secured wifi network with no problem. she has the same exact modem and service as i do. my husband spent like an hour on te phone with our service provider and the gentleman created a new network name, and had us go through the resetting of our modem and the computer a few times. he is convinced its not the modem but something on my pc, but i dont see how my pc could be the issue when it connects to every other network without any issue. could you PLEASE help me as i have no idea what to do and we NEED to be able to get online for my husbands school. oh, i forgot we have another laptop that connects fine, but the charger got messed up so until we get a new one we cant use it. while we had that one i didnt care that my netbook didnt work but now since we cant get the laptop to turn on i have to get this silly little thing working. im not sure what other info u might need but i will try that "ipconfig" thing i see alot of ppl suggest to check, and ill paste it hre for u. i dont know what any of that stuff means so its kinda been pointless all the times ive done it.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: netbook says im connected but i cant get online from our network
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 05:46:44 PM »
Lets see what we can do :-)

First thing, can you get a network cable and plug in the laptop right into the router? When you do does it get online?

If it does then we just need to change a few settings. Post a screen shot of the wireless settings page in the router if you can get connected to it and we will go from there :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline aminah

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:13:16 PM »
the guy from brighthouse got it to connect by unsecuring our network.... -_- and said it wasnt reading encryption.... but it connected to a secured network just likeours so i think  there is a different issue maybe? it didnt work when i plugged the wire into the modem it juststarted saying a LAN cable is unplugged

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 01:54:15 PM »
If you have another machine that is working with the router, can you get a screen shot of the wireless settings in the router for me?

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 01:54:15 PM »

email