Author Topic: CM 2.4.2  (Read 50362 times)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
Re: CM 2.4.2
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2012, 12:50:27 PM »
Question: CM copies "cleanmem.exe" to the "c:\windows\syswow64\" folder on my laptop. Why ? Does this occur because the content of this entire folder is loaded into the computer's memory upon start up ?

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2012, 12:50:27 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2012, 02:01:08 PM »
It is there for the task scheduler :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2012, 12:39:54 AM »
Wouldn't the Task Scheduler work if the file was placed in any other folder ? Like in "c:\program files(x86)\cleanmem\" ?

I installed a program called RAMDISK that created a separate virutal drive in the computer's memory and installed all the CM programs there. I thought it would make sure that CM would respond more quickly. But CM didn't show any speed increase. I still had to press the hot key combo twice before it was kicked into action.

Since this program "...\cleanmem.exe" is included in "layout.ini" I thought it would be loaded in the memory upon start up and could be kicked into action inmediately. But alas, that seems not to be the case. At least, I would presume all the folders/files in "layout.ini" are loaded by Prefetch and/or Superfetch upon start up. I did google a lot but found not too much info on this subject.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2012, 12:51:56 PM »
Wouldn't the Task Scheduler work if the file was placed in any other folder ? Like in "c:\program files(x86)\cleanmem\" ?

I did this for a number of different reasons. Some because of limited user accounts and others reasons such as the installer installing it and having it alwasy set to a default location saves a lot of headache for a lot of machines who have things set differently. :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2012, 08:17:57 AM »
It seems you didn't include the suggestion I made in post #45 of this thread. When I (re-)start the AM still displays e.g. the text "mini_monitor-Startup.exe,  1 killed" and the under the windows it says "Last checked: Never". Odd. Seems the MM doesn't run the "AM check memory usage" subroutine(s) upon start up of CM v2.43.

To me, it seems it's simply a matter of adding a call to that specific AM subroutine(s), in the start up procedure.

I noticed two other bugs I reported are fixed.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:46:19 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2012, 10:49:43 AM »
Thats because the last checked is meant for when the program is running. It doesn't check the system time, it keeps timers in the program itself. :wink:

I noticed two other bugs I reported are fixed.  :smiley:

:artist:

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2012, 12:14:50 PM »
You're missing the point. The timers in the program, used for the AM are not the point. The point/problem is the inconsistency between the text e.g. "1 killed" in combination with "Last checked: Never", before the AM has run for the first time. In this case the word "Never" is bugging me.

If the MM would call the "AM check memory usage" subroutine(s), upon the start up of the MM, then the text "1 killed" (stored in the *.chm file) would have been reset or updated to the actual state. Then the text after "Last checked:" wouldn't be the word "never" but a time (stamp) would have shown up.

There's another (and better) solution for this inconsistency: Don't store the info ""1 Killed" or "0 cleaned" in the *.chm file. Only display that info in the AM list window. (Assuming that info remains somewhere in the computer's memory and can be called upon to be shown, upon demand. When e.g. the user clicks on the tab "Advanced Monitor") Then the AM doesn't display the wrong "...... killed" or "..... cleaned" info. And the means that the column "Result" in the AM must remain empty until the AM has run for the first time.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 12:29:33 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »
There's another solution to this inconsistency: Don't store the info ""... killed" or "... cleaned" in the *.chm file. Only display that info in the AM list window. (Presuming that info remains somewhere in the computer memory and can be called upon to be shown, upon demand) Then the AM doesn't display the wrong "...... killed" or "..... cleaned" info.

Right now the list is just saved to the file as is. Will be far easier to not have it save the column showing the 1 killed. I will make the change now so I dont forget it and will be in the next update of cleanmem. :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2012, 06:43:44 PM »
Thanks. I'll keep testing but I doubt whether I am able to spot any new (small) bugs in the program. Of course, I would like to see some other changes to be made in CM (as reported by me, in previous posts in this thread) but since these can't be qualified as "bugs", it's up you whether you want to modify the program accordingly or not.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2012, 06:43:44 PM »

email