Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: recovering lost files in vista.  (Read 5949 times)

Offline fujin74

• PcWinTech Full Member
recovering lost files in vista.
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:11:59 AM »
Hi Shane.

No problems for me (today...lol) I just need some information.

Are there any tools in your toolbox (or that you can recommend) to help someone recover lost pictures after a system recovery?

As I mentioned in the other thread, my brother-in-law was working on his computer and messed up my router settings in the process, which you already helped me fix.

In the course of that work, he did a system recovery which reset his computer back to the factory settings, and lost all his pictures.  We thought we had them backed up on flash memory cards, but obviously we did something wrong and they're not there.

Is there any way to get them back?  And is it easy enough that non-pros like us could do it?

The guy at the shop wants $130 just to look at it, with no guarantee of recovering the pics, so I thought I would ask you first.

Thanks in advance!

PcWinTech.com Forums

recovering lost files in vista.
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:11:59 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: recovering lost files in vista.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 10:51:29 AM »
There is a small chance you can get some pictures back. But not likely.

The system recovery from computer manufactures puts the system back to the way it was when you bought it. It wipes everything out.

This is why when I redo a customer machine I normally do away with the recovery option to keep them from doing it. To many people believe it will fix the system while leaving everything there.

But here is how the recovery of deleted files works.

On a hard drive you have millions and millions of sectors. Think of a sector as a file drawer. It can only hold so much before it uses more drawers.

When a file is deleted only the information of the file is removed. The data is still there. but that sector is marked as ok to write to.

So as long as nothing over writes that data you can recover it.

But many files cover tons of sectors. So the more the system is used the more sectors get written over. So the chances get lower and lower of recovering a file.

I had a custom format their memory card in their camera. Lost all the pictures. Told her do not take any pictures and bring it to me. I did a file recovery and got them all back, because nothing got over written.

There isn't many free programs to help with this, a lot of them charge and there is no guarantee.
http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/recovery-software/

Take this as a good chance to teach him how important it is to keep a backup off the machine itself. Like to an external drive. Sometimes a person has to lose their files before they will listen :wink:

Free backup program I use and put on my customers machines.
http://www.fbackup.com/

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline fujin74

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 11:24:13 AM »
Thanks, Shane.

We'll give it a try.  He's an OTR truck driver and he's out of town until Thursday, so I know he's not using the computer at all.

Maybe we can get at least some of them back.  There were 2300-something pictures on it, and we *thought* we were copying them onto memory cards (for a camera) before the system recovery, but when we went to the memory cards to re-load the pics back onto the computer after the system recovery, nothing was on the cards.

Thank you!

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »
Good luck bud :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »