Author Topic: Improve CleanMem for limited or standard user accounts  (Read 6763 times)

Offline safeguy

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Improve CleanMem for limited or standard user accounts
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:54:01 AM »
I'm safeguy from Raymond.cc forum...the exact same person who mentioned that "hope it doesn't get too bloated" here:

hxxp://www.raymond.cc/forum/general-forum/26560-pcwintech-com-releases.html#post233052

1st and foremost, I must mention that I really like CleanMem. I've been using it since the days before it had a mini monitor. I really like the idea of it using Task Scheduler to make it "run and close" and the fact that it uses Windows API to do it's job. However, using the Task Scheduler only works for those running in the default AAM (Admin Approval Mode) account. Limiter user account (LUA) users may have to use tools like SuRun or BeyondTrust PowerBroker Desktops to have CleanMem running in a standard user account. That is not a problem for some but for those who wish to or insist on running LUA without such tools, the way CleanMem works right now may be a hurdle for them to be using it.

Hence, recently I have been thinking that it would be useful for Shane to add an option to CleanMem for users who wish to run it as a service. I know this request is contrary to what made CleanMem so different from the other memory managers out there and appeal to its current userbase. I know some users would disagree with this request. However, take note that I'm not asking CleanMemto run as a service by default...I'm not asking to change how it has been working all of these while. All I'm requesting is to have it as an optional choice for users who wants/needs it as such. If users who don't use the Mini Monitor don't mind it being installed as long as they can use CleanMem without it, I don't see why this is any different.

I hope this isn't too much to ask for. I really hope Shane can reply.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Improve CleanMem for limited or standard user accounts
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:54:01 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Improve CleanMem for limited or standard user accounts
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »
Hey bud :-)

Actually a service isn't needed. The task scheduler allows you to run processes as another user. By default I try to have cleanmem run under the system account. A person can also change it to run under and admin account, so it will still run on limited user accounts :wink:

By having cleanmem running under the system account it shouldn't matter what type of user is logged in.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

Re: Improve CleanMem for limited or standard user accounts
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »

email