Author Topic: PK 5000 Port Forward 3001  (Read 6205 times)

Offline aleemhasham

• PcWinTech Member
PK 5000 Port Forward 3001
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:40:33 AM »
So a dilemma with some background information ....

I have a ActionTec Router, on which I recently forwarded port 6036 successfully by simply clicking the Advanced tab and assigning that port to a dedicated LAN IP on the network. Now is the problem. I recently installed a LED message center which is dedicated on my router to 192.168.0.15, and I am able to access it from the site. That LED message center is calling port 3001 within its internal configuration. I also have a DDS Name server running which allow me to hold my Dynamic IP address to a "static" one.

So here comes the problem. After installing the LED message center on the router, I configured the router to forward port 3001 to 192.168.0.15. However, remotely, when I check to see if the port of open on a port checker utility, I get a message that the port of closed. Other settings include DMZ disabled, and port 3001 open. I am happy to send the external IP addy I am using if that helps. Any ideas on how to actualy open this port so I can remote connect my software to it is highly appreciated. At the time of the port forward, I did not have an virus software installed, however, at this time though I have Norton 360 installed.

PcWinTech.com Forums

PK 5000 Port Forward 3001
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:40:33 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: PK 5000 Port Forward 3001
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 03:36:42 PM »
My port tester will only check ports on your computer. Online port testers will fail no matter what if nothing accecpts the connection attempt.

So it is possible it is working fine.

Do you have some way for me to see if I can connect to that port for you? Something that the LED will accept the connection from?

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline aleemhasham

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
I am not too sure how you can test the LED from outside, it requires a software to access it, however if you want I can give you the IP addy (external) and the port no, or a rlogin either way I can share that with you, let me know which is easier and Ill do it. Thanks :)

Offline aleemhasham

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 07:53:01 PM »
Totally forgot to mention ... for simplcity Ill call onsite computer (local) and the remote computer (remote) :-) .... So typically I use teamviewer from the remote site to access the local site, this way I can change any configuration on the local site to "forward .. etc) and test is using remote site. At the moment, we have 2 LED on different computers in different parts of town. The first install and LED both local and remote configuration are working fine, it is the "new" LED which I am having difficulty connecting with remotely. The easiest test, I think, would be an access into my remote computer which in turn can connect to the "local" computer, unless there are settings that I can alter and / or ammend.

Thanks again,

Offline aleemhasham

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:38:34 AM »
So some updates on this dilemma ... good updates ... Looking at Shanes posts on all previous items, I had to identify what is the closest problem to mine .... I went into the main LED dsiplay which was localized on 192.168.0.15, BUT the gateway was left blank. Hence this was changed to the default gateway of the router (192.168.0.1) and I restarted my DDNS server to capture the dynamic IP to a static one.

After doing this I went back to the "remote" site and update the new Dynamic IP which was generated by the DDNS server and it worked. I can now connect to the LED from a remote site as well as a local site.

All settings as follows :-
Firewall enabled under Norton 360.
Windows Firewall enabled
DMZ disabled
Port forwarding enabled on 3001
DDNS running all times

Hope this helps anyone else who has a similar problem :)

Shane, as ever, as much as this is not a direct solution, all your posts led to this solution, I had to look at quite a few and see the methodology in working with this. What really helped was when I checked if the port was open and a remote site said it was not, but you had said that unless the receiving device is sending a signal to that port, a remote port check will always fail.

Thank you once again for another awesome conclusion.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 03:29:25 PM »
Glad you got it fixed :-)

Locking thread :wink:

And as always...
If your happy with my work. Then all I ask in return is you simply let others know about my site and programs. I help with anything computer or network related :-)
Also always feel free to make a post in the feedback forum.
And a facebook like at the top of the page of my site is nice as well. ;)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 03:29:25 PM »