Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: DVR down?  (Read 5114 times)

Offline misskittykat

• PcWinTech Full Member
DVR down?
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:41:45 AM »
Hi, Shane..

Been a while since I have had to post.  You were kind enough to help me back in Oct getting my camera survelliance hooked up for remote monitoring.

Well, I have a question. I am on vacation and I have been monitoring my cameras daily and everything has been fine... a couple of times now I have not been able to access the dvr remotely but the next day it has been back on.. no problem.. maybe just a server update or something.

In any event I have not been able to monitor remotely now for 3 days.  I can ping my router and I get through.  I have telephone service since I can still access my phone for messages.  So would I be safe to assume I have internet and that maybe my DVR has died.  I have talked to tech support with my provider and they don't show anything down but won't open a ticket (work order) unless someone is there to let them in to see if the router is on and what lights are on.. well, I'm not there so no can do on that part?

When I try to access from the internet I get conflicting messages.. one time it will tell me IE cannot display the page and other times it says my DNS client can be seen as active but something is preventing me from getting in.. like firewall or ???? Which I dont' understand since I have not changed my settings on my computer or anything.. so I am a little perplexed?

Any idea on how I could reset things remotely or am I just basically done til I get home. I don't have any techy friends I can send in to check things out since getting all this set up was a challenge for me to begin with... let alone any of my friends who always call me for help.  I appreciate any time taken.

misskittykat

PcWinTech.com Forums

DVR down?
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:41:45 AM »

Offline misskittykat

• PcWinTech Full Member
Re: DVR down?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:37:01 AM »
Sorry Shane.. I responded privately to an old post.. I see now why I couldn't find the "reply" button.. please forgive me.

misskittykat

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 10:23:08 AM »
I just replied to your PM before I seen this :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline misskittykat

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 09:20:51 AM »
I have both static IP as well as DNS client running? That is what is weird.  IE says the webpage is online but not viewable possibly due to a firewall but also notes my computer is configured to allow it to run through the firewall.. so don't know what's up there. My phone and internet are on the same line and I can access phone answering machine no problem and provider says internet is working and no glitches.. so not sure how to troubleshoot from here?  I read on a blog somewhere there is a DVR remote tool available somewhere through someone or program to reset remotely or fix remotely?  Ever hear of such a thing?   

I appreciate your time or anyone elses thoughts on this? Totally perplexed.

misskittykat

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 12:36:44 PM »
I tried the internet IP you PM'ed me and it doesn't work.

I think your internet IP changed on you and the DDNS didn't update. Either that or something happened on the DVR end where something else has changed or needs rebooted.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 12:36:44 PM »