Author Topic: CleanMem slows down the system when closing several programs  (Read 8214 times)

Offline Davey126

• PcWinTech Full Member
CleanMem slows down the system when closing several programs
« on: November 30, 2011, 05:10:44 AM »
I wanted to respond to and earlier post with a similar subject but the thread is locked (which is ok - just explaining why a new post)

@ektorbarajas: I see this as well and believe Shane's explanation is right on the money. It happens more frequently when items have been loaded for a long period (hrs/days), say when closing a browser with many tabs open. The delay is never excessive but clearly items are being pulled from the page file based on observation of the hard drive activity light and a deeper analysis of disk activity.

I suspect some of the kernel is also being swapped out over time as once all applications have terminated the amount of in-use memory as reported by Cleanmem is a fraction of what I can drive it down to after a fresh boot (after waiting a few minutes for start-up processes to settle down). But the system remains very responsive so apparently what's needed is still in memory. Note there is a registry setting to restrict kernel swapping; I don't bother with this as Win 7 does a pretty good job on its own.

None of this diminishes the value of Cleanmem which I have installed on every system I support (combination free/pro versions). Great little utility.

PcWinTech.com Forums

CleanMem slows down the system when closing several programs
« on: November 30, 2011, 05:10:44 AM »

email