Author Topic: Avira marketing popups  (Read 9388 times)

Offline Chip W

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Avira marketing popups
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »
Having just disabled Avira because of the annoying "Buy me" popups (I should complain about something that's free?), the "Disable Pop up's from Avira AntiVir Personal" article intrigued me.
But I'm less than Super Tech and I don't want to play with the Registry unless I think I know what I'm doing. 
I can access the Registry with regedt but I'm not sure what to do with it.   The two Registry entries given in the article are to be added to the Registry?  If so, how?
I can follow the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hierarchy down but don't know what to do at the {12af7d6a-aeed-4c09-a5c7-dd1f0e3fb07d}] level.  This doesn't exist so I assume must be added, but how?
HKEY_CURRENT_USER falls apart at the "Group Policy Objects."  My Registry has a  "Group Policy" but not "Group Policy Objects."  Mistake?  New entry?
In conclusion I'd like to say "Duh."

PcWinTech.com Forums

Avira marketing popups
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Avira marketing popups
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 10:55:30 AM »
I dumped Avira because of this and currently use the free Panda Cloud antivirus.

On that page just download the reg file and run it, your done :-)
http://www.pcwintech.com/files/disable_avira_popups.zip

The download button is at the top.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Chip W

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:48:52 AM »
Thank you.  I switched to Avast just a couple days ago.  Now that I won't get those annoying popups (they must know they're annoying) maybe I'll turn Avira back on.

If you're in the mood to answer a related question:
At Startup Windows asks me if I want to run the Avira startup program.  This doesn't happen with any other programs I've added to Startup.  How do I tell Windows to just do it and stop bothering me?  Maybe there's a global Windows setting: "Just do what I want and don't bother me."

If you're in the mood to answer an unrelated question:
In Windows Explorer, right click on a file and menu options are presented.  When some programs are installed they put themselves into this menu, which I consider a bit presumptuous (though it's nice to have unlocker there).  Regardless, I'd like to access this context menu to make my own changes, but golly I just don't know how.  Help & Support is no help.

It's fine if you're not in such a mood.  I can sit here, alone in the dark, and just flail away.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 12:10:04 PM »
At Startup Windows asks me if I want to run the Avira startup program.  This doesn't happen with any other programs I've added to Startup.  How do I tell Windows to just do it and stop bothering me?  Maybe there's a global Windows setting: "Just do what I want and don't bother me."

You need to check your startup folder and such. Go to start then run and put in msconfig
There you will see what is at startup and you can disable it :-)

In Windows Explorer, right click on a file and menu options are presented.  When some programs are installed they put themselves into this menu, which I consider a bit presumptuous (though it's nice to have unlocker there).  Regardless, I'd like to access this context menu to make my own changes, but golly I just don't know how.  Help & Support is no help.

Everything in the right click menu is located in the register. And if your not careful you can really screw things up. I havent checked, but I think there are a few programs out there that let you clean up the right click options.

It's fine if you're not in such a mood.  I can sit here, alone in the dark, and just flail away.

Your a ball of sunshine aren't you? LOL

I am always here to help :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Chip W

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply but the msconfig thing doesn't help.  I use Anvir Task Manager for Startup stuff, but I don't see how anything in Startup does this.  Maybe there's a Registry entry.  I think Anvir is excellent, but I'm not a tech expert and the info is very techy stuff.
(I was a tech expert on the IBM AS400 but the PC world is entirely different and I'm just an intermediate user.  For example, this Registry thing is really weird.)
For the right-click menu stuff I'll see if I can find such a program.  Maybe I'll look into the Registry; I have a program to back the Registry up (ERUNT).

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »

email