Author Topic: CleanMem detected as a virus?  (Read 36543 times)

doguru

CleanMem detected as a virus?
« on: October 03, 2008, 05:16:30 PM »
I have 2 machines, 1 with XP Home SP3 which has Avira Personal (free) anti-virus, a-squared's Mamutu and Comodo Firewall Pro (also free).  Every time I try downloading and installing CleanMem, Avira claims that there is a trojan.  My other (main) machine dual boots XP Pro SP3 and Vista Ultimate both of which run ESET NOD32, a-squared Anti-Malware and Comodo Firewall Pro.  NOD32 finds nothing wrong with CleanMem nor does a-squared.  I tend to trust NOD32 much more than Avira but Avira is very highly rated at the moment.  

The intent of this post is so that the programmer(s) from PcWinTech is made aware of this.  Avira is free and is becoming very popular (look at the number of downloads on CNet).  I would hate to see a great little program like CleanMem suffer because of false positives.  You might want to contact Avira.  I don't think there is a way for me to submit a sample of your installer to them using the free version of this a-v.  I'm pretty sure that is only an option in the premium version, but I will check.

Keep up the great work!

PcWinTech.com Forums

CleanMem detected as a virus?
« on: October 03, 2008, 05:16:30 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Virus
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
Avira has already been contacted about cleanmem and they said they verified it as clean and would update there program

in fact here is a email response from them that they sent to one of the users of cleanmem on 9-22-2008

seems like its the same generic virus it falsely detected last time TR/Crypt.ULPM.Gen

Hello,

As promised, I have sent the CleanMem installer to Antivir\Avira, so they could check it. The false positive will be dealt with soon.I have just received this reply:

A listing of files alongside their results can be found below:
File ID  Filename                    Size (Byte)    Result
25139184 cleanmem_v1.2.1_setup.exe   1.7 MB         FALSE POSITIVE

Please find a detailed report concerning each individual sample below:

Filename                    Result
cleanmem_v1.2.1_setup.exe   FALSE POSITIVE
The file 'cleanmem_v1.2.1_setup.exe' has been determined to be 'FALSE POSITIVE'.In particular this means that this file is not malicious but a false alarm.Detection will be removed from our virus definition file (VDF) with one of the next updates.

Of course I just put 1.3.0 out today but hopefully they didn't just skip the file name and not actually cleaned the fals positive.

Looks like I will have to contact them about this one to, Geez lol

I just checked there site, here is a link on how to upload the file to them if you would like to do it your self, I will also send it.

http://www.avira.com/en/support/faq/details.html?id=122

And avast is my antivirus of choice, free for home users to :-)
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

doguru

Wow! Quick response! The
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 06:01:35 PM »
Wow! Quick response! The version I was referring to was v1.3, I guess they didn't update their database.  Makes me begin to wonder just how good they really are.  I mean, any a-v can place highly if it detects almost everything including false positives.  It is the really good one's that detect the real problems. Maybe the site that I used as a reference of good a-v's (av-comparatives.org) should try to alter their criteria. I think I read that they are doing just that.

Thanks for the quick response Shane.  Love and respect your work.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
Thanks, I try my best. I check the site about a dozen times a day if not more when im not working (My wife hates it) lol, Im always adding new pages for the router section and I check a lot to answer any questions people might post. The site is only a few months old so im trying my best to make it a good site.

But anything else you need, no matter what it might be don't be a afraid to ask.

Take care
Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Avira Fixed
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:56:23 AM »
Good news they will have a update out soon to fix the false positive

A listing of files alongside their results can be found below:
File ID    Filename   Size (Byte)   Result
25150739    cleanmem_v1.3.0_setup.exe    1.7 MB    FALSE POSITIVE

Please find a detailed report concerning each individual sample below:
 Filename   Result
 cleanmem_v1.3.0_setup.exe    FALSE POSITIVE

The file 'cleanmem_v1.3.0_setup.exe' has been determined to be 'FALSE POSITIVE'. In particular this means that this file is not malicious but a false alarm. Detection will be removed from our virus definition file (VDF) with one of the next updates.

(About Shane)

Offline skyliner

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
ClearMem works brilliantly
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:19:26 PM »
I have a 10 year old Dell XP machine with 512 meg of RAM.  I have used a multitude of so-called Ram optimizers, Iobit's "Advanced Windows Care" (which gave me virtual memory errors with no improvements in free Ram),and most recently have been running Cacheman XP, which manages the cache, but typically leaves me with an average of 150 meg or less of free RAM, even when few or no programs are being used.  Naturally, the numbers will change, depending on how many programs I am running.  (Right now with 2 browser windows open on IE7, Yahoo IM running, AVG loaded, Iobit's Auto defrag running, and a Weather Watcher Program running, I am still maintaining about 335 meg of free Ram. These are unprecedented results

I stumbled upon ClearMem and decided to turn off Cacheman and give CleaMem a try.  The results are unbelievable. Every time I check my free Ram , I am consistenly over 300 meg of free Ram, and sometimes as high as 350 meg of free RAM.  Programs run smoothly--no delays, freezes or any hiccups at all.   Too bad your freeware isn't more prominently displayed on websites like CNET (download.com) or SnapFiles. This is an amazing, unobtrusive utility, and at this point, I see no reason to reactivate Cacheman XP.
Thank you for making this nifty little freeware program available---best wishes---Mike G.

PcWinTech.com Forums

ClearMem works brilliantly
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:19:26 PM »

email