Author Topic: duplicate IP address and other issues  (Read 11570 times)

Offline fujin74

• PcWinTech Full Member
duplicate IP address and other issues
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »
Hoping you folks can help me with yet another computer problem... here's some brief background information:

I had a home Wi-Fi set up with a Motorola SBG900 Wireless SURFboard Gateway.  Everything was working perfectly for several years until I started messing with it in order to connect my new Lorex surveillance system.

My ISP blocks port 80, so Shane helped me reconfigure my port forwarding, etc., so I can view my Lorex system remotely.  Last night everything was working fine.  I could view the cameras both locally on my laptop and remotely over the internet.

This morning when I started up my computer and it tried to automatically connect to my Wi-Fi, I got a message that said "another device is using the same IP address on this networt as this computer."  It would *not* connect to my Wi-Fi, however, when I plugged in a USB cable it works fine.

I tried resetting the network adapters, deleting and re-establishing the networks, deleted and reinstalled the modem, which the installer wizard said everything is configured properly-- but my computer still wont connect to Wi-Fi.

I don't know how/why I got this "duplicate IP address" nor how to fix it.  Can you help me with this problem please?  Thank you.

PcWinTech.com Forums

duplicate IP address and other issues
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: duplicate IP address and other issues
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »
When your router hands out IP addresses only one machine can use an address at a time.
The error is coming up saying something else is using the IP your wireless is trying to use.
Is your wireless on your computer set to Automatic or static IP?

If everything is set to auto then you may just need to unplug the power to the router and back in to let it clear itself and start fresh. :wink:

If your wireless on your computer is set to static just set it back to auto and you should be fine. :cheesy:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline fujin74

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 01:26:23 PM »
I'm not precisely sure what I did, but it seems to be working OK now.  THANK YOU.

In one of the "properties" boxes in "manage network connections" it said "use the following IP addresses" and there were IP addresses already showing there, so I clicked on "detect IP addresses automatically" and it erased those entries that were already there.

I never saw anything that said "static"... but after I unplugged/replugged the modem, and restarted the computer without the USB cable connected to the modem it automatically connected to my Wi-Fi like it was doing before.

I'm not touching anything else... it's working now like it's supposed to-- for now. :smiley:

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 02:42:09 PM »
"use the following IP addresses" = static
"detect IP addresses automatically" = auto (DHCP)

You fixed it :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 02:42:09 PM »

email