Author Topic: CM problem(s) surfaced again  (Read 13070 times)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
CM problem(s) surfaced again
« on: July 11, 2011, 05:08:06 AM »
It happened again. I double clicked on the system tray icon and the monitor settings window didn’t pop up although a button called “” Cleanmem Mini Moni…..”” on the button bar  did appear. This happened when I started my laptop. I didn’t click on “”Reset Window Positions”” but immediately checked the registry and this is what I found.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CleanMem]
"DisplayName"="CleanMem"
"NoModify"=dword:00000001
"NoRepair"=dword:00000001
"UninstallString"="\"C:\\WINDOWS\\CleanMem\\uninstall.exe\" \"/U:C:\\Program Files\\CleanMem v2.11\\Uninstall\\uninstall.xml\""
"Publisher"="PcWinTech.com"
"URLInfoAbout"="http://www.pcwintech.com"
"HelpLink"="http://www.pcwintech.com"
"Contact"="PcWinTech.com Support Department"
"DisplayVersion"="v2.1.1"
"InstallLocation"="C:\\Program Files\\CleanMem v2.11"
"DisplayIcon"="\"C:\\WINDOWS\\CleanMem\\uninstall.exe\""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PcWinTech]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PcWinTech\CleanMem Mini Monitor]
"FrmMonitor_x"="10455"
"FrmMonitor_y"="10050"
"FrmMain_x"="2310"
"FrmMain_y"="3938"

(It's almost certain that the mini monitor was moved higher as I resized the buttonbar twice, before I took a snapshot of the registry. See for an explanation below)

My screen size is 1024 x 768 pixels. The problem described above could be attributed /related to something else I came across. See below.

On my laptop (with Win XP SP 3 with all the latest updates) I have increased the size of the button bar at the bottom of the screen to three rows. See picture. When I increase the number of rows of the button bar then the mini monitor (MM) automatically moves up as well. But when I decrease the amount of rows the MM doesn’t automatically move down as well. Up to this point there’s nothing to worry about.

But here’s the problem I encountered. When I started my laptop the MM was hidden behind the button bar. I think it happened because I unselected “”Show monitor”” and then the option “”Always  on top”” is unselected as well. Then I selected “”Show monitor”” again. And I moved the MM down(wards) as well, at some point. When I started my laptop again the MM was hidden behind the button bar. I had to shrink the button bar to be able to see the MM.

And then I experienced the following weird behaviour as well: when I double click on the system tray icon the window doesn’t pop up but when I click on the “”Cleanmem mini monitor ….”” Button on the button bar the window did pop up. Weird !
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 05:21:06 AM by Willy2 »

PcWinTech.com Forums

CM problem(s) surfaced again
« on: July 11, 2011, 05:08:06 AM »

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Re: CM problem(s) surfaced again
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 07:41:59 AM »
That all is weird but you did a great job of explaining what you did. In hindsight I don't know why I never tried resizing the bar during testing. Thanks for bringing this to my and Shane's attention.

Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:06:52 AM »
Did you get CleanMem 2.2?

I think I have the off screen bug fixed :cheesy:

Added better support for the window positions of the program. On some users systems, if they had another program running that worked with program windows, it would cause CleanMem to save the window positions off screen, or if a user lowered their screen resolution and the old position would now be off screen. The program now checks the current screen resolution and brings the windows back on screen. I made sure this supports people with multiple monitors :-)
Fixed a few small bugs.
Added some control dll's to have CleanMem use instead of the ones on the users systems. On a few rare systems, if the users theme controls had the wrong or mismatched versions then CleanMem or their computer would crash. I have put the correct files with CleanMem and it will use those now instead. I am hoping this will fix the crash problems for those few people.

On the toolbar one that makes sense. It is still on screen, you just moved something over it.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
Cleanmem 2.2 ?? I'll check it out !!

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »
Up to now it seems CM (v2.2.0) behaves better. We'll just wait and see whether the ""double click"" error problem surfaces again.

I installed the new version and the MM directly was hidden behind the increased buttonbar (three rows). Perhaps CM read from the registry the old values ?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 12:42:18 PM »
I have it looking at the screen size, it doesn't look at the task bar size. It technically is still on screen, it is just behind the task bar.

You can go in the reg and change the values now to something off screen. When you reopen cleanmem mini monitor you will see the screen will be loaded in its default location instead :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:40:26 AM »
The problem of not popping up is not restricted to CM v2.1.1. It also occurred when I tried to open Defraggler and REPAIR WINDOWs. It looks like it related to some software on my laptop. Must do some more investigations to see whether the error rears its ugly head in the next days/weeks/months again and under what circumstances.

Perhaps I need to clean and compact the registry more often.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 12:14:40 PM »
At least it wont happen with the new version of cleanmem :-)

Check to see if you have any type of desktop manager or something on your system that might be doing it.

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 12:14:40 PM »

email