Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Working with Windows SBS (Small Business Server) 2008  (Read 11648 times)

Offline netreg

• PcWinTech Member
Working with Windows SBS (Small Business Server) 2008
« on: June 01, 2011, 06:29:25 AM »
Hi,

I have a new project now. Small company, 30 persons. This company located in one physical site, but namely three different parts. CompA CompB, CompC. There are workers working only for one, but there are who working for two or three different ones. In the future it may totally separeted but now CompA and CompB are using one SBS server for store the working folders and managing internal and external communication with MS Exchange 2007. Fortunatelly the third company will get a new SBS server for file storing and mail. Workstations are all Windows based, but mixed (XP, Vista, W7, 32/64 bits).

First problem: how can a user, who is working off-site (home, travelling), access his/her mailbox? They can get the incoming messages with POP3 but sending with SMTP (from outside) is not working. They like to use Outlook client without configuring every time. What could be the solution? Outlook Anywhere or there is something other out there?

If yes, OA is the answer, I need some urgent help how and where can I start? I mean there is Autodiscover, registered certificates, IIS, new external domain names and so on. A lot of stuff I need to handle correctly to get this mess work. If not, what should I do?

Second: How can they access some important files/public folders from outside securely?

I am new in server forest developing but I am excited to do something new! Last time I was dealing with Exchange server it was with version 5.5 before Y2K and Active Directory...

Fortunatelly there is the very new server for CompC I can make some tests on it:)

Thanx in advance!

Regards,
Stefano from Tuscany, Italy

PcWinTech.com Forums

Working with Windows SBS (Small Business Server) 2008
« on: June 01, 2011, 06:29:25 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Working with Windows SBS (Small Business Server) 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:54:27 AM »
Similar boat myself this week :-)

I have a customer with about 40 users, all one office, that I am moving off of Windows 2003 SBS 32 bit to Windows 2003 64 bit & from exchange 2003 to 2007.

I get the fun part of transferring everything over. And instead of doing everything new, I am going to try and match all the settings and domains so we don't have to reconfigure the work stations.

Thankfully things are not very different, for what you are doing.

Right now Exchange is setup with pop3, smpt & imap support. The imap is used for their phones. They use outlook on their work stations. And for the users who don't have their email on their phones they access outlook anywhere through their browser.

You will need to have IIS installed of course, and the rest isnt to hard. I haven't done the 2007 yet. So Google is our friend :-)
Section C on here
http://www.commodore.ca/windows/exchange/how_to_setup_exchange_2007_in_2hours.htm

Fun part for my job? I have to export out all 40 gb of email to pst files before I move them to 2007. Then import all the pst's for each account into 2007  :tongue:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

Re: Working with Windows SBS (Small Business Server) 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:54:27 AM »

email