Author Topic: Can't get anywhere but home.  (Read 16206 times)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Can't get anywhere but home.
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:59:55 AM »
The Gateway has developed a problem -- probably virus related. Symptom is I can boot up and then go to the internet. In my case my home is Centurytel.net and it goes there just fine. I can then open mail and do whatever. The problem is that I can't seem to get anywhere else. I have tried Pogo, Facebook and AOL all I get is Internet Explorer cannot display. I tried restoring the system to an earlier date and it says it can't restore -- doesn't say why just that it can't - tried three different dates with the same results. Earlier, before this began I had updated Malware bytes and it flagged several thing which I told it to remove. After it did that I reran Malwarebytes and got a clean run. That is when I tried to go to the Internet and discovered this problem. I can get to other sites (Poker Stars, Absolute Poker, and Yahoo Messenger). 

Suggestions.

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

Can't get anywhere but home.
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:59:55 AM »

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Re: Can't get anywhere but home.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:02:38 AM »
Lets see if it is a DNS problem. To test this I want you to use the IP address for facebook and AOL.

Facebook: 66.220.153.23
AOL: 64.12.244.203
AOL: 64.12.245.203
AOL: 64.12.246.205

Just enter those into the browser address bar instead of "www.facebook.com" and "www.aol.com" and see if you get the correct page. If you do then we know it is a DNS issue.

Also, if you have a log from the Malwarebytes scan and want to email it to me I'll be happy to look over it and see if I see anything.

I might not be back for a while. It's Mother's day and I have a new daughter (less than a week old) so it's family day today.  :cheesy:

Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:31:42 AM »
Congratulations on the newest addition to your family.

My wife did some digging around and found that the lan settings got messed up -- had 'use proxy server' set and it shouldn't be. After she changed it everything works just ducky.

However, I am left with the issue of why can't I do a system restore to an earlier date? I have used that many times in the past and never had a problem. Any ideas on that one? No hurry -- you have a great day.

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 11:41:22 AM »
Thanks, Mac.

As far as the System Restore, the restore points are probably corrupt most likely due to the infections you removed. Since you have cleaned the sytem you could try manually creating a system restore point today and then try rolling back to that one (post clean up) and see if that works. If it does then it just means the old ones either were messed up due to the infection or when you cleaned it up something was removed from those that is causing it not to work. Remember though, if you did restore to a previous state, you'd bring back the infection(s).  :wink:

Evan

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 05:45:45 AM »
OK, I'll try to create a checkpoint today and try to restore tomorow. I'll keep you posted.

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 06:05:28 AM »
Thanks, good luck, and let me know how it goes.

Evan

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 03:58:56 AM »
Finally got back to this item. Took  several checkpoints. They all seemed to work. Yesterday did a restore to one of them and it worked fine. Reckon it's time to close this one. Thanks for all the help.

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 05:57:40 AM »
Thanks for following up on this Mac. Glad to hear everything is working fine. I'll go ahead and lock the thread.

Evan

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 05:57:40 AM »