Tools & Programs By PcWinTech.com > (Program) Drive Speedometer
Drive Speedometer v1.0
(1/11) > >>
Shane:
Drive Speedometer v1.0.0
http://www.pcwintech.com/drive-speedometer

Drive Speedometer is a program I made to help monitor the current read and writes speeds of you hard drives.

Benefits include:
1. When your system is running slow yet your CPU usage and memory usage are fine, it is normally the hard drive being maxed out. Now you will be able to keep an eye on the hard drive performance.
2. When a drive is slowly dying it will run slower and slower. Being aware of what your normal drive speeds are and seeing those speed drop over time is a great indicator it is time to replace the drive.
3. Being a performance nut myself I like knowing what my system is doing. When I have a program doing some work and appears to be hung up I can see if it is still reading or writing to the drive. This way I know the program isn't hung up and is still working.

The program uses the Windows performance counters to pull the information. If you have disabled your performance counters I have included a reg file in the setup to enable them again. Run the reg file and reboot. Your performance counters will be working again.

I have also included some pre made bar fill graphics. Including some to use when running the monitor in compact mode. You can of course make your own as well.

Shane
Davey126:
Hum - quick response then off to a kid sporting event:

- frequent refreshes are a visual distraction (a graphic similar to CPU utilization on TM may be better)
- a green/yellow/red icon would be helpful to quickly identify high I/O conditions
- need to know what process is generating reads/writes to take meaningful action
- reduce vertical height (single line) so monitor can sit right above task bar with minimal icon overlap
- hovering over tray icon yields limited useful info given update frequency
- make reset icon position compatible with CM (perhaps different default location)

I know the above seems a bit critical but I don't see myself using this tool on a regular basis in its current form  :sad:
Shane:
When you get a chance Davey I would like to move the Drive Speedometer stuff to the right spot :-)

--- Quote ---- frequent refreshes are a visual distraction (a graphic similar to CPU utilization on TM may be better)

--- End quote ---

This one can be dealt with by setting the bar fill color to the same color as the background, thus a in way turning off the progress bar. Blend to desktop also works.

--- Quote ---- a green/yellow/red icon would be helpful to quickly identify high I/O conditions

--- End quote ---

I thought about this at first but there is a problem. Unlike Cleanmem where it is monitoring on thing. This one is monitor 2. Both read and write. So not sure how I would get the tray icon to show easily both stats. I know I could split it with 2 colors, but text wont work. So for now I left it a standard icon till I find a way to deal with it. :wink:

--- Quote ---- need to know what process is generating reads/writes to take meaningful action

--- End quote ---

The program connects to the performance monitor in windows. And that only gives me the read and write stats, not the programs doing the read and writing. Newer version of windows might, havent looked yet.

--- Quote ---- reduce vertical height (single line) so monitor can sit right above task bar with minimal icon overlap

--- End quote ---
Again its 2 monitors, read and write, so need 2 bars. Still smaller than the default cleanmem monitor lol

--- Quote ---- hovering over tray icon yields limited useful info given update frequency
- make reset icon position compatible with CM (perhaps different default location)
--- End quote ---

Just updated the setup.
Made a change to the text in the monitor. People are getting confused that it is showing the current read and write speed, not the actual speed of the drive. Hopefully new text will help with that.
Default location is now to the left of where cleanmem default would be. :wink:

--- Quote ---I know the above seems a bit critical but I don't see myself using this tool on a regular basis in its current form
--- End quote ---

Lets keep this going and fine tune it till you would use it :artist:

Shane
Davey126:
Of course missing from my earlier post (do'h!) was any reference to the stability/functionality of the tool which was perfect. Something you rarely see on a first release. Kudos!
Davey126:
It is really the shifting text that I find distracting. A graphic with a mild smoothing function may be more effective. I don't care so much about the actual values - just whether disk IO is low, moderate or high. So far I have not found the progress bar nearly as distracting as the numbers.

Numbers are not required on the tray icon. The square could be divided into two (one side read, other write) with independent green/yellow/red colors indicating relative disk activity. The tool tip could display actual values if so desired. A similar division could be made on the progress bar: left side read, right for write. That would reduce its hight by half (see snip for how I normally display CleanMem - very unobtrusive).

That's all for now - I will try the latest setup on Saturday and provide additional feedback.

BTW - My personal views are based on the idea of a continuously displayed unobtrusive monitor and may not mirror program objectives or the desires of others (including the author!) - especially for a 'free' tool. Maybe it is best to just stick with the tool as currently written  :wink:

[attachments over 25 days old deleted by admin]
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version