Author Topic: Can't connect to wireless net with my new wireless ip camera  (Read 43238 times)

Offline SteveP

• PcWinTech Full Member
  • I deal in 60s and 70s model GM muscle car parts
    • Phillips Muscle Car Parts Inventory
Can't connect to wireless net with my new wireless ip camera
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:58:41 AM »
Hi. I like your site it seems like you have a lot of information in that noggin of yours maybe you or someone else can help me with a problem i have run into.
I recently purchased an IP cam from ebay it is a Foscam FI8904W Wireless IP/Network Camera. It has a model number on the bottom that is VNT6656G6A40 and a serial number of M110105325OE and a MAC ID of 00127B525B55 on one sicker on the bottom. It also has another sticker that has a serial number of FID1101002560 and a MAC ID of 00606E91BB45.
The problem i am running into is it wont connect to our wireless internet network here. The camera works great when i have it plugged into the modem via an ethernet cable. The modem i am using is a gateway 2wire 2701hgb.
The instructions to get the wirelss to work are as follows: when you are logged into the camera's ip on the internet go under administrator options and click wireless lan settings. then click scan to locate your wireless signal. click on the SSID of your router on the list. then you fill in the share key which im assuming is the pass for your router. then you hit submit and it goes through a 30 second restart process where at the end you are supposed to unplug the ethernet cable then the power cord to the camera then plug the power cord back in and after a few 10-20 seconds the LEDs on the camera are supposed to go solid so you know that it is connected wirelessly. when i do all that the LEDs only flash once and i am unable to connect to my camera.
If any more information is needed ill gladly provide it. I appreciate any help you can give me. I have attached the pdf files with the instructions for this thing. I think maybe im missing something. I am a nerd but some of this stuff is very new to me.

[attachments over 25 days old deleted by admin]

PcWinTech.com Forums

Can't connect to wireless net with my new wireless ip camera
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:58:41 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Can't connect to wireless net with my new wireless ip camera
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »
Sounds like it could be a couple of things.

First, it is possible your not putting in the right wireless account info, perhaps the password is mis-typed?
2nd, the wireless simply doesn't work in the camera.

So here is a test to answer both questions.

In your 2wire, go to the wireless setup page. Find the wireless security, and turn it off, make it so it doesn't need a password.

Then go through the setup process in the camera again and have it connect to the wireless with no password.

If it comes up and the lights are solid then we know it was a simply password problem. If it still doesn't work with a password free network then it looks like the wireless doesn't work in the camera. :wink:

And of course when done, go put your password back on the wireless, don't want every person close by connecting to you :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline SteveP

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:06:33 PM »
Thanks for your quick response. I will try what you said and see if that fixes the issue. I will reply when i have done this.

Offline SteveP

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:26:49 PM »
It did the same thing as before the lights just blinked once and then nothing the application freezes and i cant log back in till i plug the ethernet cable back in. then a thought occured to me. i shut down all the programs related to this thing and relaunched them after doing all this and its working :artist: I appreciate all your help im sure i will contact you in the furture for techy stuff. Thank You very much!

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 12:31:48 PM »
Good to hears it working :-)

Since your all set I will lock this thread :wink:

And as always...
If your happy with my work. Then all I ask in return is you simply let others know about my site and programs. I help with anything computer or network related :-)
Also always feel free to make a post in the feedback forum.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 12:31:48 PM »