Author Topic: Wake on WAN!  (Read 60588 times)

Offline ratchet

• PcWinTech Member
Wake on WAN!
« on: September 19, 2008, 07:46:07 PM »
Hello Shane, I have to admit, the new website/forum threw me for a loop.  I'd posted a few CleanMem threads months ago and have checked in periodically but hadn't been back since the last update.  So when I saw there was another one to day I stopped by.  Had to register again, so you might want to post that, that needs to be done to avoid the confusion I experienced.  Anyway, after weeks of attempting to wake my pc over the internet (I can Wake on LAN) I gave it one more shot today (despite the fact that I'd sworn off trying it anymore).  Well once again I failed.  I believe I've narrowed it down to my ISP blocks the Magic Packet or my Linksys WRT54GS will not port forward broadcast addresses (e.g. ending in.255 if subnet is 255.255.255.0).  I've considered the couple open source firmwares available for the 54GS but so far have not installed them.  Then I stop by and discover all the wonderful network tools you have here and I am again tempted (I think I need rehab!).  So my question is:  do you think your port triggering and forwarding tools can help?  Thank You, ratchet

PcWinTech.com Forums

Wake on WAN!
« on: September 19, 2008, 07:46:07 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Good to see you again
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:53:40 PM »
Well first off it is good to see you again!

On the wake on lan port forwarding may work, if your using a standard router and no firewall blocking certain packets then the type of packet shouldn't matter as all data is sent through the port thats are forwarded.

But the question is does the router forward the ports when the computer is off? Normally wake on lan is done by the mac address.
Its been such a long time since ive even used it!

but this may be why you can do it locally but not over the internet. One side option for you, if it is possible, I have a computer here at home I use as my server, its on 24/7. If you have a similar computer that can stay on I could write a program for you that runs on the server, waits for a connection with a username and pass and then sends the magic packet locally to the other systems that need to be turned on. Not a perfect solution but it is an option.

But if you only have the one computer and your looking to do it over the net yours options may be limited, a custom firmware may help, basically the router needs to send the packet to the nic card by its mac address as the card doesn't have an ip when it is off.

Let me know what your next step is, I will help all I can.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline ratchet

• PcWinTech Member
Thank you for the reply
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 03:12:30 AM »
Thank you for the reply Shane!   There have been several instances now where I wish I hadn't pitched the old dell we bought the kids in 95, relative to using it as a server.  Also, thank you for offering to help.  You had made that "general" offer in a CleanMem thread months ago, so you obviously are a great person.  Trust I won't bother you with this!  From a practical standpoint, I'd wanted to be able to access the desktop from my children's homes during visits should there be some one day software offer.  I do use a work around, however.  I have a little prog that can wake the pc up from hibernation or standby on schedule, then I log in remotely and re-hibernate it  remotely.  The Wake on WAN has become more of a challenge than a necessity!  I ramble!  Thank you again, ratchet!

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
No Problem
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 07:55:14 AM »
Not a problem, I'm here if you need me.

-Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline ratchet

• PcWinTech Member
OK, Thank You!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 06:05:33 PM »
OK, Thank You!

westconn

searching brought me here
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 09:49:59 PM »
has anyone any resolution to this issue?

i have wol enabled and working on pc, but want to implement over internet
i have forwarded port 7 to 192.168.1.255, and have tried several wol tools to to attampt to wake up pc, as it is my server i want to wake after power outage, i can not use that route, i can easily use remote desktop to do once the server is running, but that is the quandry

pete

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
the problem is that WOL does
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 09:57:45 PM »
the problem is that WOL does it by mac address of the nic card and not ip. and using it over the net and even port forwarding do those by IP address and not mac. so WOL cant find the computer over the net.

So far the only solution I have seen is where if you have another system running 24/7, like a server, you can install software that waits for the command to turn a system on the network with WOL. the program itself works over the net and then sends the WOL locally.

So I have the program running on the server, then I have the client of the program on my laptop and use it to send the command over the net.

Of course it has been a while since I have messed with WOL and things can change. But for now this is the only option I know of.

-Shane

(About Shane)

westconn

thanks shane, if i had the
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 10:15:51 PM »
thanks shane, if i had the server running, i would not need to wake it up, so it is a no win situation, really need a bios that starts the computer at a/c power on, might have to look at a new mboard

pete

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
I do know some MB can turn on
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 10:20:45 PM »
I do know some MB can turn on the system when they detect power, then you can get a battery backup with a timer :-)

You know that is one thing I never checked into. I wonder since they have battery backups that hookup via usb to let the software monitor the battery if they ever made one with networking in it for WOL?
I think I might do a little research into that. I know they have some with timers so who knows.

Shane

(About Shane)

westconn

i am really wanting the
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 10:30:28 PM »
i am really wanting the server running 24/7, so all this is only to restart the machine after power outage, i know the mboard has timer settings in it to start the machine on alarm, but that is not quite what i require, i do have other machine that has a/c on settings, but not on the server, maybe just a big enough battery on ups to keep it running till while power off

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
battery backup for sure to
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 10:35:34 PM »
battery backup for sure to start with, no matter what. What motherboard do you currently have?

Im surprised it doesn't have the option to start after a power failure. If a simple dell or hp has it you would think a server would :-)

So im curious to which board you have.

Shane

(About Shane)

westconn

my server is, not a server
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 10:41:54 PM »
my server is, not a server class machine, just a virtual linux box running on a XP pc, but the linux box runs web, ftp and mail servers
the mboard is i865g-m4, all just built out of spare parts, seems to be reliable, except for the power outage issue, which we have had a few of in the last couple of weeks, weather related

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
I may have one other
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 10:58:32 PM »
I may have one other option.
The router firmware. such as ddwrt

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WOL

Remember when I said a program would be needed to be on the local network to turn the machine on? well with the right firmware and router the router itself can be the WOL program.

And since you can enable the remote web interface for it you could login and turn the machine on.
like this right here.

http://www.pcwintech.com/files/screenshots/DD-WRT_v24_mega/030.png

I didn't even think of this before. But this might be your answer.

Shane

(About Shane)

westconn

no option like that in my
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 11:09:14 PM »
no option like that in my draytek

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
well at least getting a new
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 11:16:12 PM »
well at least getting a new router is an option and cheaper than a big battery backup.

if you do go that route make sure the router is support by the dd wrt firmware.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

then your WOL over the net will be taken care of.

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

well at least getting a new
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 11:16:12 PM »