Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: new program  (Read 15472 times)

Offline hangdawg

• PcWinTech Full Member
new program
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:14:23 PM »
 hi shane how about a program to end programs i know you have one to end a non-responsive program but i just tried installiing a beta anti -virus and it got stuck but cpu was at 1 percent  and memory was fine but totaly stuck wouldnt do anything   had to use switch on  psu  to kill it because the anti-virus program protects itself so task manager wont end it  maybe a program to kill any program no matter how protected  without shutting off explorer  like everthing on desktop  but maybe a option to exclud  like for rocket dock or object dock

PcWinTech.com Forums

new program
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:14:23 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: new program
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 05:18:18 PM »
There are a few programs out there that do things like that.

Although there is no way that I am aware of to kill a protected process. But having said that, I should make it clear that I never looked very deep into it to find out how it is done. So it might be possible, I don't know off hand.

After I get CleanMem 2.0 done i will see what I can do, but no promises on it as of yet :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:05:09 PM »
What beta anti virus was it? It sounds like a busted thread or something screwed up with a handle. I bet I know of at least one program that can handle it.  :wink:

Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline hangdawg

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 07:30:21 PM »
  hi  avast beta 6  i  uninstalled avast 5  the tried beta 6 twice  but it froze  and you cant end it threw task manager  because it protects itself  even  got stuck shutting down    but could get rid of threw remove programs  so i just re-imaged back   and installed   6 over top  of 5 works fine  know   6 introduces a sandbox feature

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=71639.0

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:54:30 PM »
I looked through the first few pages of the forum you linked to and didn't see anyone posting about your problem. I was wondering if there is a specific action you are doing that caused the lock-ups?

I've also got a couple of programs you can give a try if you want. I'd be curious to see if they can "kill" the protected EXE.  :smiley:

Evan

Offline hangdawg

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:51:59 PM »
  yeah id like to try them ive found in the past shortcuts you can make to end a  non  responsive program  usually all  they   do   is bring up the  end   program  dialog  would  rather have a kill all without the dialog box as sometimes  its   hidden  under a app   add this beta wouldn't do anything but the cpu was at 1  percent and memory use was low  and most go by memory use to find a  non-responsive program well thats what ive read
  so yeah im game   worst case is id just re-image  so send them to me

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 10:48:29 PM »
Okay, I get what you're saying. The problem with using task manager is that all it does is *ask* the program to close. The program doesn't have to listen and sometimes it can't even respond. With that in mind, I think you should give the following two programs a shot.

SuperF4 (http://code.google.com/p/superf4/)
Info (http://code.google.com/p/superf4/wiki/About)

and

Sysinternals' Pskill (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896683.aspx)

Since you're taking advantage of images then you shouldn't have any problem. I also have a third program that I haven't checked out much but I trust the source. The difference is that it can kill a series of programs and apps and that might be what you need if SuperF4 or Pskill don't work. I expect that AV app uses more than one EXE but I haven't tried it myself.

Let me know if either of those suites your needs.  :smiley:

Evan

Offline hangdawg

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 03:22:59 PM »
  hi evan im going to try super f4  as the other one reminds me of linux  to much   :evil:  (the terminal)

Offline hangdawg

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 07:11:16 PM »
 hi evan i un-installed the av  and re-installed  no hang-ups go figure  but  did try  superf4  on av gui didnt do nothing but kill explorer.exe  haha    but   alt -f4 did close the gui   i was looking at this a week or so ago 
  http://www.drk.com.ar/daphne.php

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 07:11:16 PM »

email