Author Topic: just wondering...  (Read 6944 times)

Offline xsethz

• PcWinTech Full Member
just wondering...
« on: January 20, 2011, 01:49:17 AM »
 :cheesy:

shane just wondering wuts the connections of QoS(Quality of Service if im not mistaken) in a wireless modem.. if its range from -1 up to 63?

wut does it do? is 1 different from 50?

same to all numbers in that QoS!

PcWinTech.com Forums

just wondering...
« on: January 20, 2011, 01:49:17 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: just wondering...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 07:53:45 AM »
Personally I always disable Qos but that's because I have no use for it.  :tongue:

Here is more info on Qos
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service

Quality of service is the ability to provide different priority to different applications, users, or data flows, or to guarantee a certain level of performance to a data flow

Quality of service guarantees are important if the network capacity is insufficient, especially for real-time streaming multimedia applications such as voice over IP, online games and IP-TV, since these often require fixed bit rate and are delay sensitive, and in networks where the capacity is a limited resource, for example in cellular data communication

So for your wireless, say one person is using the entire wireless speed to copy some files over. And when you use your system on the same wireless it goes horribly slow.

If you have Qos set for your system then your system will still get what it needs without suffering.

I just woke up, did I explain this correctly? LOL :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline xsethz

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »
i guess that will do...  :cheesy:

thanks..

tho i still got problem with my connections..  still slow -.- i guess i try to reformat one of my harddisk and try if its my system who are slow or the modem itself.. coz since last 2 weeks it drops from 900kbps - 1mbps to 200kbps... then after 2 days 300kbps... and stuck on that.. and now for almost a week now it stuck on 500kbps -.-

i tried call my provider and they said its normal gain coz at least 30% of needed speed i always get.. but i told them how is that possible if from the previous months to calculate all exactly 6months im using it with 900 - 1mbps with no downs.. except its raining hard.. there is no totally connections.

so well im trying to figure it out.. even i direct my modem to pc still the same figures on my speed -.-

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:47:41 PM »
Your ISP is saying you can get up to those speeds but they don't promise it. All ISP's are that way.

Been sick today with the flu, so I am back to bed. :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 11:16:29 AM »
If you are unhappy with your speed not reaching 1Mbps and you would like to always have at least that speed then you should look into paying for a higher connection. You should just be able to call them and ask them for the faster speed and they can change it on their end (no new equipment needed).

You will find that you really enjoy the higher speed because everything will be more reliable and faster.  :wink:

Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline xsethz

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:34:56 AM »
 :undecided: well..

to tell you honestly, philippines is one of the worst when it comes to internet speed connections.. right now im using Wireless Internet through Wimax technology.. and the maximum speed is only 1mbps.. and thats wut i got.. no dsl line yet available in this side of the country... lolz!

i guess they just let me taste a good 1mbps speed for 6months.. then suddenly they just drop it like nothing happens... i already contact them and they said. 30% for speed connections are already good.. so i just like WTF!

and guess wut! they didnt say that when they are offering this connections...

i know i cant reach 1mbps all the time.. but isnt good too that u always got only 500kbps... and sometimes much lower than that.. off-peek and peek time! they never go beyond that figure anymore..

well wut can do its the only options i got!

i guess ill try to tweak my modem lolz..

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 01:41:37 PM »
Unfortunately that is only going to get worse the more users they service. The only way you might expect to see better throughput at the same speed is if the ISP gets higher quality equipment to handle the load better...but don't hold your breath for that.

Just keep bugging them and tell others to do the same and maybe you'll get lucky.  :smiley:

Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 01:41:37 PM »

email