Author Topic: IP Wireless Camera - unable to connect  (Read 25479 times)

Offline aldera

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
IP Wireless Camera - unable to connect
« on: December 27, 2010, 03:25:33 PM »
Hi,

I have AT&T UVerse with a 2WIRE Model i3812V Wireless Router. I'm trying to port forward to an IP Wireless Camera and can't seem to get a connection. I assigned the camera a static IP address of 192.168.1.100. I set its port to 8080. If I open my browser and type in http://192.168.1.100:8080, the camera login page is displayed and everything works fine.

If I go to the "Firewall" section of the 2WIRE, select the "unknown000DC5D0BF58" device listing which is the MAC Address for the device I want to forward to, and I add a user-defined application called "Camera" with "TCP" selected and port address range of 8080 to 8080 and add it as an allowed "hosted application" it doesn't work. If my external IP address for the router was 99.100.200.300, I put http://99.100.200.300:8080 and I get "Safari can’t open the page “http://99.100.200.300:8080/” because the server where this page is located isn’t responding."

The 2WIRE wireless portion of the router is disabled. I have an Apple Airport Extreme wireless router attached in "Bridge Mode" to provide wireless access since it is an 802.11n capable router and the 2WIRE is only .11g. All my computers are .11n capable.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can throw my way.

PcWinTech.com Forums

IP Wireless Camera - unable to connect
« on: December 27, 2010, 03:25:33 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: IP Wireless Camera - unable to connect
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 03:35:41 PM »
It might be working  :wink:

Some routers don't like reverse NAT
http://www.pcwintech.com/test-for-reverse-nat

Which is where you try to connect back to your own network with the internet IP.

The best thing to do is have someone else from a different network test.

PM me your internet IP and I will see if the login page comes up for you :wink:

But at the same time we need to make sure port forwarding works.
So setup a port forwarding rule to your computer. Then use my port tester program and see if it passes :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline aldera

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 05:33:09 PM »
Shane,

Thank you so much for taking the time to walk me through the problem. Apparently, the camera has 2 MAC addresses and the one I was able to access on the local network via port forwarding was not the same one that was accessible via the external IP address. It was really weird that when I assigned the static IP address (192.168.1.100) to the one MAC address, the IP address was actually assigned to the other MAC address, at least as far as the 2WIRE router was concerned. I imagine it had something to do with the fact that the IP address was initially assigned to the camera via an Ethernet cable hooked up to the Apple Extreme router. When I removed the cable and went wireless, it somehow switched things around.

Again, thanks for all the help. I don't think I would have stood a chance solving the problem on my own. You're awesome!!!

Ralph

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
Happy to hear your all set.

Since your all fixed I will lock this thread. :wink:

And as always...
If your happy with my work. Then all I ask in return is you simply let others know about my site and programs. I do a lot more than port forwarding :-)
Also always feel free to make a post in the feedback forum.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »