Author Topic: CleanMem  (Read 14099 times)

Offline infotech

• PcWinTech Member
CleanMem
« on: December 03, 2010, 08:25:40 AM »
Windows 7 64 bit
AVG Internet Suite - this did not seem to alert to any problems, but I thought I would mention this was running.
WinPatrol Plus is also running - no alerts

I installed version 1.6. It asked whether 32 or 64 bit and I chose 64 bit. However, there seems to be a problem. I noticed that the Cleanmem MiniMonitor's icon was missing so I clicked on Properties and it said the CleanMem Minimonitor.exe could not be found in/Program Files/ but it was installed in /Program Files (x86). CleanMem was not loaded every 30 minutes. I know it is silent and there are no windows, but I kept a look out and previously, I had seen it briefly on the system tray (ie another computer running vista 64 bit. I also noticed that the application did not install a shortcut on the desktop. It was this that alrted me to potential problems.

I also understand that cleanmem.exe should also have been installed in /windows/system 32 ? If that is the case, I could not find it.

I would welcome any advice.

Thanking you in advance.

PcWinTech.com Forums

CleanMem
« on: December 03, 2010, 08:25:40 AM »

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Re: CleanMem
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 09:04:42 AM »
I know for a fact that WinPatrol doesn't bother it but AVG might.  We can worry about that later though.

Right now I want to get some clarification though.  When you say that the icon is missing are you talking about from the start->programs menu or somewhere else?

Have you checked the task scheduler to see if it ran?  That will tell you if it did or didn't run.

I'm going to try out the 64 bit real quick to see if I can reproduce any of your symptoms.

Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 09:16:33 AM »
First, and a little off topic, I am not a fan of AVG. And for good reasons
http://it.slashdot.org/story/10/12/02/2025237/AVG-2011-Update-Causes-Widespread-Problems-For-64-Bit-Windows
and
http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests

The free antivirus I use, put on all my customers systems and is free is avira (www.free-av.com) And scores dang well on av-comparatives.org :wink:

Now cleanmem only asks for 64 or 32 bit so it knows what bat file to run when it is done. Cleanmem does get installed into the program files and then the bat file installs the task scheduler and files to the system32.

Your saying none of the files are even installed.

So this is because something is blocking it, perhaps AVG or perhaps you need to make sure you run the setup as administrator.

I am on Win 7 64bt and cleanmem works just like it should :wink:

So we need to find out why the files are not being installed.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 09:58:52 AM »
I just did a new install of CleanMem on a 64bit Windows Vista machine and I have the mini monitor icon available in the programs of my start menu (as expected) and I did a quick search for "CleanMem.exe" just to see where mine were placed so that you (infotech) can compare.

• C:\Program Files (x86)\CleanMem\CleanMem.exe
  • C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\CleanMem.exe
  Hopefully you can use that for comparison.   ;)

Evan

Offline infotech

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 08:26:03 AM »
First, thank you to both Evan and Shane for such a quick reply.

Shane - On the 2 December, my computer failed to boot but I opted to start normally, rather than repair, to see if any errors were reported. Quite often, the PC can start after a reboot for reasons which escape me). My computer (I have paid AVG) started OK.

I have just reinstalled CleanMem and their location:

1. CleanMem is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)
2.  C:\Windows\SysWOW64

Shane - I cannot see anything in the Task Sceduler Library. I have also looked in system32 - but I cannot see anything there - what file/folder should be there incase I have missed something.

If I run the minimonitor and clock on clean memory, then it does work ie firefox.exe certainly changes but I cannot see any evidence of it running automatically.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Ros

CleanMem minimonitor is also in the Start menu, this time the icon is there.

Offline infotech

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »
Correction - I can find it in the Task Scheduler - but Last Run Time says Never.

As this is now outside my basic knowledge, I would appreciate your help. I saw a post: http://forums.pcwintech.com/index.php/topic,1145.0.html which is similar, I think. ie the snapshot there is identical.

How does one set the Task Scheduler to "automatic"? ie how to ensure the Task Scheduler is running - how do I determine this - sorry, as I said this is beyond my capabilities.

Regards,

Ros

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 09:39:20 AM »
I'm looking on my system (Vista 64bit) and in the task scheduler it shows that it have never run but if you click on the task and look at the various tabs there is one for history.  If I look there I see that it is reported to have run.  Do you see the same thing?

Evan

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 09:53:14 AM »
Actually I just looked a little closer and saw that all the history was from the previous version.  There was no evidence of it running with the new install.  I uninstalled CleanMem and refreshed the task scheduler information and the task was gone.  When I re-installed CleanMem the entry was back in the task scheduler with all the old history again.  I tried manually "running" the task and saw that CleanMem ran via Process Explorer but nothing changed or was updated in the task scheduler.   :confused:

Shane, can you reproduce this?

Evan

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 09:59:50 AM »
Hmm...there was a delay in my task scheduler cause now it shows.  I'm going to give it a bit and see if it runs according to the schedule it has set.  Be back in an hour or so with my findings depending on what else I have to get done today.   :smiley:

Evan

Offline infotech

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 10:33:04 AM »
I saw that history was disabled, so I enabled this about an hour or so ago and naturally, it was blank. Having just read your posts Evan (and thank you so much for taking so much trouble), I noticed there is now one event entry for today: Information, Event 140, Task Scheduler. Details:

- System

- Provider

[ Name]  Microsoft-Windows-TaskScheduler
   [ Guid]  {DE7B24EA-73C8-4A09-985D-5BDADCFA9017}

EventID 140

Version 0

Level 4

Task 140

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2010-12-04T17:28:23.996093700Z

EventRecordID 1

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID]  1184
   [ ThreadID]  4136

Channel Microsoft-Windows-TaskScheduler/Operational

Computer user-PC

- Security

[ UserID]  S-1-5-18

- EventData

TaskName \Clean System Memory
  UserName S-1-5-18

Regards,

Ros

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 10:56:29 AM »
Let me explain more in detail how the cleanmem setup works and such. This will help understand things better.

All the cleanmem files gets installed to (By default) to C:\Program Files (For 32 bit) and C:\Program Files (x86) (For 654 bit)

The mini monitor runs cleanmem from that location only. The task scheduler how ever needs to have a default place to run cleanmem. And since users can change the install location of cleanmem I had to put cleanmem in a default location. Thats what the bat files do. They copy cleanmem to the system32 dir. C:\Windows\System32 (32 bit) and C:\Windows\syswow64\ (64 bit)

The task scheduler should be running cleanmem from here.

So when you run the cleanmem setup it asks if you are on 32 bit or 64 bit (I really should make this automatic) and from that it will run the correct bat file.

Also you need to make sure the task scheduler service is running of course :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »
No problem infotech.  I don't mind at all.  I haven't had a chance to get back to that machine but luckily Shane provided some more thorough info.

Shane, I've never bothered trying this...but what happens if you select 32 bit install on a 64bit system.  I know where the files will be placed but will the task scheduler attempt and fail to run the app or what?

Also you need to make sure the task scheduler service is running of course
Yep...sometimes it's the simple things.  :smiley:

Evan

Offline infotech

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 06:44:09 AM »
Dear Shane and Evan,

Thank you both for your help.

Kind regards,

Ros