Author Topic: Some WiMAX questions  (Read 6724 times)

Offline newimperial

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Some WiMAX questions
« on: November 02, 2010, 10:05:35 PM »
First off, I have to say great forum. used it when I was having problems with my router. so kudos to you.

I have some questions about WiMAX just so I understand how it works. and one on unlocking my receiver.

First, what can cause the signal strength to vary wildly. In the space of a few minutes the signal can be really strong then just as suddenly it can almost disappear. Due to how fast it changes I doubt if the weather is a significant factor though I could be wrong.

Second, how is it sometimes the WiMAX receiver is getting a great signal but there's no or slow  connection. Other times I might have only one LED on the receiver and have a great connection, quick torrents etc.

Third, Would I be right in thinking that My receiver connects directly to the wimax base station and isn't like a node in a system that passes information on to the node next to it?

Lastly, and embarrassingly I changed the admin password on my receiver. a Huawei BM 621 I changed it to something easy to remember (which I have forgotten). Is there a way to reset the receiver to it's default settings? I have tried to read the HTML source page but cant find anything that looks familiar also there is a link to a java app page (../js/util.js) which I've looked at but can't see anything there. has anyone got any idea's about this?

Anyway thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Newimperial.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Some WiMAX questions
« on: November 02, 2010, 10:05:35 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Some WiMAX questions
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 10:58:59 PM »
First, what can cause the signal strength to vary wildly. In the space of a few minutes the signal can be really strong then just as suddenly it can almost disappear. Due to how fast it changes I doubt if the weather is a significant factor though I could be wrong.

This is the drawback of wireless internet. A LOT of things can interfere with it. Building, trees, other signals, all kinds of stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX#Interference
and
http://www.suirg.org/pdf/SUIRG_WiMaxFieldTestReport.pdf

Wireless internet is like being on a cell phone call (Granted wimax is better at this). How many times have you been on a bad cell phone call? Now think of your internet being the same way.

Second, how is it sometimes the WiMAX receiver is getting a great signal but there's no or slow  connection. Other times I might have only one LED on the receiver and have a great connection, quick torrents etc.

All depends on the modem, the modem is just showing how strong a signal it is getting and depends what it is reading. I personally don't know what signal the modems are reading to give the strength.

Third, Would I be right in thinking that My receiver connects directly to the wimax base station and isn't like a node in a system that passes information on to the node next to it?

This should answer that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX

Lastly, and embarrassingly I changed the admin password on my receiver. a Huawei BM 621 I changed it to something easy to remember (which I have forgotten). Is there a way to reset the receiver to it's default settings? I have tried to read the HTML source page but cant find anything that looks familiar also there is a link to a java app page (../js/util.js) which I've looked at but can't see anything there. has anyone got any idea's about this?

All modems should have a reset button on the back of it, you will need a pen to hit it :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline newimperial

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 08:44:26 AM »
Shane thanks a mill for the quick reply. I have read up a lot on wimax and think the reception problem might be to do with the location of the receiver. Wikipedia mentions beam forming transmission (AAS) so maybe I'm just in the wrong place.   

Thanks Again!

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 08:44:26 AM »