Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Testing Ports on a non Computer Device  (Read 6907 times)

Offline Sabbatai

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Testing Ports on a non Computer Device
« on: September 18, 2010, 08:30:20 PM »
Hello

For your convenience I have included a "too long, didn't read" at the bottom!

I have a camera that connects to my wireless router.  You have to reserve an IP address through the router as there is no user interface for the camera.  Or rather a very limited one that only allows you to define 1 port needed to see live video from outside your home network.  Well for me, using a "dumb" cable modem and wireless router attached to it works beautifully.

So I talked some of my friends into buying some as well.  They are all using DSL "modems" that have routing capabilities with a second wireless router attached to that.  Both usually running with routing and wifi capabilites turned on.... the whole ugly mess...

I am pretty competent in this area and managed to get a group of VERIZON using friends up and running with no problem.  I forwarded the ports from the "modem" to the secondary router and then from there to the camera.  Worked like a charm.  Could have DMZ'd or any one of the other solutions out there but this worked.

Some of my other friends are scattered about the states and using ISPs I've never heard of with 2wire and Siemens routers.  According to everything I read online about the specific models they are using there are all types of things that could cause double port forwarding or even DMZing to the secondary router to not work despite the configuration seeming to be in order.  No matter how thorough I think I've been and no matter how many manufacturer's documents I read I can't seem to get them up and running.

Any other drastic changes tend to interrupt their VOIP telephony and so at this point I just want to KNOW if the ports are actually open through to the camera or if the problem lies elsewhere.

***tl;dr***
What I'd like to be able to do is to check that ports are being forwarded to the camera.  Unless I am mistaken it seems the Simple Port Tester will only allow me to check ports being forwarded to the machine it is running on.

Is there any way to do what I am looking to do?

PcWinTech.com Forums

Testing Ports on a non Computer Device
« on: September 18, 2010, 08:30:20 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Testing Ports on a non Computer Device
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 09:31:45 AM »
You are right on the port tester only checks the port on you computer.
That is because it opens and listens on the port. Something has to be using the port in order for the port tester page to work.

So if the camera is using the port then the port tester page should work just fine with out the program. Maybe.

Also on the 2wire, I have guides and screen shot pages for it. the 2wire goes by device name not its IP. So keep that in mind for the port forwarding rule.
And also keep an eye on #7 on here with the 2wire  :wink:
http://www.pcwintech.com/common-problems-fixes-port-forwarding

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

Re: Testing Ports on a non Computer Device
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 09:31:45 AM »

email