Author Topic: Two suggestions for CM  (Read 12540 times)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
Two suggestions for CM
« on: July 11, 2010, 03:29:53 AM »
After having read the weblinks at the documentation page of Cleanmem (CM) two suggestions surfaced. (I hope I understood correctly the info provided over there).
1. Instead of completely curtailing memory usage of a program/process (as determined by the settings files) CM could reduce the amount of memory assigned to a program to a certain minimum. E.g. as specified in the ""Only"" settings file.

e.g.

iexplorer.exe, 1

This would reduce the memory usage by the process ""iexplorer.exe"' down to 1 Mb. And if there was no number specified then CM would be free to curtail memory usage of a process, as much as possible.

2. The same trick as under 1) but now for the System File Cache. CM completely wipes the System File Cache everytime but there's a flipside. When I reopen/reactivate a folder, it's clear Windows has forgotten where files in that folder are located on a drive. Then Windows needs to go through the entire filestructure to find those files again. And that slows Windows (somewhat) down.

So, perhaps the user could be allowed to choose if he wants the System File Cache to be cleared or not. And perhaps that CM can reduce the size of this cache down to a specified amount of memory, as well. As specified in e.g. the ""Only"" settings file. Of course, then CM should also provide System File Cache info in the log file. Then the user has an idea of how much memory curtailing the memory uagse of the System File Cache can be recovered. That's what the 3rd setting line (see below) is for.

e.g.

SystemFileCacheClean=True (or False)
SystemFileCacheSize=20 (this would reduce the memory usage of the system file cache down to 20 MB)
SystemFileCacheLog=True (or False)

PcWinTech.com Forums

Two suggestions for CM
« on: July 11, 2010, 03:29:53 AM »

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
Re: Two suggestions for CM
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 05:29:27 AM »
I think that in a future version of CM all the settings should be in one (settings) file. Settings from the ""only"", ""log settings"" and ""Ignore"" file could (IMO - should) be incorporated into one file.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 09:36:46 AM »
The API cleanmem uses to clean the memory doesn't have any options on how much memory to clean. It's basically a garbage collection api and windows cleans up as much as it can.

The file system cache doesn't have to do with the memory of a processes. It is the cache of the hard drive when reading files. The cache is what helps make a hard drive run faster, but when that cache is full and isn't emptied the whole system slows as the drive is not using the cache for new files.

I found this out my self when backing up my computer. I was backing up so much data that by the end of the backup my system would crawl when opening anything. the ONLY thing that would fix it was a reboot. But when I ran a program to clear the file cache the system returned to normal and speed backup. Thats why I included it in cleanmem, to make sure the file cache stays in line. Now after backups or heavy file usage I don't have to reboot.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 12:40:40 PM »
I overlooked one thing. CM can be configured to not clean/collapse the System File Cache. Then the user has to add the line ""file cache"" to the ""ignore"" list.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »
Yeap that's right. The way I have cleanmem is to install it and your done. Let it clean every thing, you wont notice when it runs. I have it run even when I am in a heavy 3d game and you can never tell it does. That to me is a good app. One that does it's work without getting in the way.

The only reason I made the ignore and only list was by user request. I personally don't use them :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 09:47:16 PM »
Remember, the idea with CleanMem is to have it be a very *small* program whose primary purpose is to instruct Windows to flush out unused memory (essentially current or soon to be memory leaks) on a set schedule using a little system resources as needed.  If you watch CleanMem run in real time you only have about a 2 second window to catch the whole process.   :wink:

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 11:24:04 PM »
I know, introducing new features in a program is always precarious. It's always a trade off between e.g. speed and functionality. These are mere suggestions. We'll have to see whether these suggestions will be incorporated in a future version of Cleanmem (CM). But in spite of that I have two more suggestions for a future version of CM :

1. Introduce in the installation program an option to create a shortcut in a/the Windows Start Up folder or in the registry. So, then CM will already have run once when the user starts using his/her computer.
2. Put all the settings in one settings file. Then CM only needs to load one file instead of three. Something like this (see below, in italics):

[Ignore]
file cache

[Processes logged]

[Processes cleaned]

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:41:06 AM »
Having everything in one file would be less confusing. I added each list by user requests. Right now I have it reading the files the lazy way. It loads up the text tile and looks at each line and for each one that doesn't have a ; it reads it. As you can see doing it this way means having sections wont work.

But I do agree it would make things better to have all the settings in one file. The goal to doing that is to have the process lists be comma separated instead of on a new line. I will keep this in mind for the next version :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:41:06 AM »

email