Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Laptop fails to boot.  (Read 18456 times)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Laptop fails to boot.
« on: April 21, 2010, 08:56:52 AM »
I THINK I know what happened but I figured I'd get some better answers from someone other than myself. I recently acquired a refurbished laptop (less than a month ago) and everything seemed to work fine. I installed all the software my wife wanted, created system recovery discs, and installed some security software. All was fine. I turned the laptop over to my wife, she logged onto a couple of places and fooled around for awhile and then shut down (using normnal shutdown). Later that evening she powered up but it hung starting Windows and never would boot up. It now appears that the system32\winload.exe is corrupted or missing.

She had the laptop parked on the desk about 8" from the 19" CRT monitor for the desktop and I THINK this is what caused the problem. I'd really like to know if that is the culprit because we can find her a better place to place the laptop but if that is not the answer then I need to figure something else out.

Ideas?/Comments?

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

Laptop fails to boot.
« on: April 21, 2010, 08:56:52 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Laptop fails to boot.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 09:04:48 AM »
First lets do the power reset trick, this normally helps a ton on systems that dont boot even to the bios scree, but wont hurt to do here.

Unplug the power cord, remove the battery. With both out try to turn the laptop on a few times, this will drain all the juice out.

After that plug it back in and see how it goes.

It is also possible you simply have bad hardware. Bad memory or a bad hard drive.
There are free tests on the net for both of those that you can burn to a bootable cd and run.

If you don't have any kind of those tools let me know and i will point you in the right direction :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:01:39 AM »
Ok, I tried the power on reset you described. No Help. I get a black and white message that says Windows failed to start -- whole bunch of other stuff but bottom line is that Windows\system32\winload.exe is missing or corrupted. When I first got the system I created the system restore disks (3). Yesterday by going into Setup I changed the boot device to point to the DVD and went through the system restore process (about 1 1/2 Hours). When it got to the end it said hit OK to restart system. I did. Sameoh sameoh. So I'm stuck, seems like I need something more than a system restore (perhaps that file is not part of the restore). Seems to me that an on-going hardware or memory problem would not have been able to get through that entire restore process unless it is a portion of the hard disk at fault.

Suggestions?

Mac

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 11:40:04 AM »
We need to test the hardware to be sure.

So first lets test memory, bootable memory test here
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Come to think of it I think should take care of you
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

That should have all the tools you need.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 11:55:57 AM »
Thanks for the pointer, I'll go get that tool(s). I just got off the phone with the Revonate support center (still under warranty). They (he) told me that it appears that the hard drive is the culprit and to send it back, I'm in the process right now of getting a prepaid return lable printed. So if I can get it returned real quick I reckon I'll just do that. However, I'm gonna go get those tools so I'll have 'em for next time.

For now I suggest we go ahead and close this incident and I'll reopen if I run into more problems. I can still use the links you gave me even if it's closed (right)?

Mac

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 12:57:07 PM »
Yeap :-)

That boot cd is a keeper, you will need it in the future.

Locking thread.  :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 12:57:07 PM »