Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: External IP Application  (Read 16824 times)

Zfield

External IP Application
« on: April 10, 2010, 11:59:40 PM »
It would be great to have an application that could determine your external IP address, could have a simple GUI to display the address and could be run from the command line to write the external address to a text file (without the GUI coming on).

It could be run using the windows tasks scheduler, or if using the gui it could have an 'always on' which would poll for the external IP every <user defined> minutes.

Possible switches could be:
-a (append to file)
-o (overwrite file)
-d (create new file with date as filename) eg: ipaddress-2010-04-10.txt
-w (write IP address with date & time in txt file)

*-w could be used in conjunction with -a -o or -d

Let me know what you think =)

PcWinTech.com Forums

External IP Application
« on: April 10, 2010, 11:59:40 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: External IP Application
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:20:57 AM »
My CS Fire monitor already has a logging for the IP addresses. But of course it has to be running.

2 questions, your goal is like cleanmem, not to be running in the background, so taking advantage of the task scheduler, correct? And also, if you don't mind me asking, what is the goal of logging the IP?

No matter what this would be an easy app for me to make and take 30 min for me to code at most, I could add it to my toolbox.  :wink:

I just want to make sure it would be a helpful app  :smiley:

(On a side note, I am starting my programming skills to the iphone hehe)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Zfield

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 08:55:22 AM »
Ohh, the iPhone, that'll definitely bring up the traffic!

The purpose of the app is: to have an updated IP address :tongue:

I use cable, so my IP doesn't change that frequently, so I hardly check to see if it has changed myself. I use dyndns to update my IP, but there is the the odd time where something happens and the IP doesn't update (or in one case I missed the e-mail that the account was expiring :confused:). So if I have my external IP in a text file on my laptop, I will still be able to connect to my desktop if my dynamic IP doesn't get updated properly.

Another option request  for the app! be able to MANUALLY choose multiple gateways for your external IP. Why? B/C I have cable and DSL (go dual WAN!) both coming into the same network.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 09:51:36 AM »
lol, my cs fire monitor can also email when your internet IP changes as well.

Today is Sunday and I am going to spend the day with my kids. SO will see about getting the small app done tomorrow for ya.  :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Zfield

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 10:11:08 AM »
Sweet. Maybe for others it might be a good idea to be able to detect the external ips for multiple NIC interfaces (in my case I just use one NIC, but both modems connect to my switch and I can choose the gateway per computer).

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:12:45 PM »
Been real slammed today. Finally got some work caught up and I am having a blast learning this new programming language for the iPhone. Nice thing is I am picking up on it dang fast lol. Already made some small test apps an hour after starting Objective C (The programming language for the iPhone) lol.  :artist:

I have also began my first iPhone app that I will release when I get it done. A nice System information tool. System info is what I am good at so seems the good place to start for my very first iPhone app.  :tongue:

Anyways I took a break from it today and pumped out the app for you.
http://www.pcwintech.com/shanes-toolbox
Look for the Log Internet IP app.

Hope this will help with what you needed. Didn't take me more than 20 - 30 min to make. So if something doesn't work just let me know.

Once you try it out and your all set let me know and I will lock this thread.  :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

Zfield

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 02:54:38 PM »
Pretty sweet app! Thanks :cheesy:

BTW, before you close the thread, is it possible to add multiple gateway support? As mentioned in my previous post, it be able to log my IP on both WAN addresses.

I'm not sure how windows manages the gateways though - can an application choose to use a different gateway from the 'default gateway' set on the NIC? I know WMware can, but that also installs its own network bridge protocol which would be a bit excessive for a simple app.

As for the iPhone, is there a big difference between C and Objective C? My extent of programming is Hello world lol; and even that I would need to brush up on again. I could probably program better in assembly!

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 03:13:47 PM »
I have never learn anything other than Visual Basic. So I cant compare to C. All I know is thanks to the way my brain works I understand every bit I have gone through so far. So I am lucky :-)

When I was in high school they did some tests on me, said I have some sort of advanced learning ability and did some aptitude (skill) tests on me, I scored the max in all of them LOL. They said I qualified for any job in the word. Go figure. Yet working for my self and helping others has brought me more happiness than you would think :-) (Remember when you help others, others help you)

All I know is the way my mind processes information is different than a normal person. They never told me what that meant and that was 15 years ago when I was 15 lol. But learning this new language for the iPhone Which is similar to C, from what they say, has so far been fun and easy for me. And when something is fun, it isn't work :-)

Now that I'm done with that little spew lets get back to the program  :wink:
On the gateway thing if your looking for an easy way to set it then I think my simple static IP tool would work. It allows you to set that info.

But I also think your asking for the new log IP tool to connect through the other gateway and pull that internet IP as well since you have 2 internet connections. The short answer to that is no. At least not what I can see. The program uses the Windows API to make the connection. So what ever connection windows is using is what the program will use. Now it is possible to have the program make a connection through a specific network connection. So if you had a 2nd network card using the 2nd gateway I could rewrite it to make connections on both.

Shane

(About Shane)

Zfield

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 03:26:04 PM »
OK, well it's not really a big issue - I can always run the tool on both my server and my desktop, have the server throw the IP to my desktop, and let my desktop sync to my laptop (it's easier than it sounds  :tongue:) I already have my desktop syncing with my laptop. I love it - data backup and I always have a copy of my files on both computers. When a file updates it will update on the other computer as well.

I have to agree with your statement - when your having fun, it isn't work. A whole day can pass by and you're like... where did it go!? I would love to try your iPhone app when your done, but for that I would need an iPhone. I'm more of a windows mobile type person - but I hear the Win7 phones are not going to have multi-tasking support so that will stop me from getting one of those!

You can close the thread now. I LOVE the app btw. If MS made this app, it would be 32MB in size vs KB. I've always loved it when programmers do the job right and don't bloat their software with redundant code. Keep up the good work!

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 03:35:46 PM »
Thanks bud.  :wink:

I am building the site like I have my computer repair business, by good work and word of mouth :-)
Also let me paste my standard reply hehe

If your happy with my work. Then all I ask in return is you simply let others know about my site and programs. I do a lot more than port forwarding :-)
Also always feel free to make a post in the feedback forum.

Locking Thread.

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 03:35:46 PM »