Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Need help with simple internet meter  (Read 14315 times)

tindrli

Need help with simple internet meter
« on: February 08, 2010, 12:41:47 AM »
Greetings to all. i wonder if anyone can help me configure ma simple internet meter.. ok .. here is the problem.. we have 4 computers conected to one router.. those 4 computers have DHCP on and they are on same network:
router:192.168.0.6
comp1:192.168.0.11
comp2:192.168.0.7
and so on and so on...

Now.. the ISP provide us with 5 GB  internet download limit and we would like to know how much certan comp download during a day.. so can it be done by instaling simple internet meter on only on e machine or i must install it on all machines??? if it can be done by instaling on one comp please help me configure it

thanx in advance

tindrli

PcWinTech.com Forums

Need help with simple internet meter
« on: February 08, 2010, 12:41:47 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Need help with simple internet meter
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 12:57:43 AM »
Simple Internet Meter has to be installed on each computer. It monitors each one. The lite version doesn't have a remote viewer. The standard version comes with a remote viewer to view the other computers that Simple internet meter is running on form 1 computer (Simple internet still has to be installed on each PC).

The only way to monitor all internet from the router is with a custom firmware like DD-WRT. But if you don't want to go that way then you need to monitor each computer  :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 08:03:25 AM »
There are also some routers that have this ability right off the shelf, but you will pay a premium for them.  I believe there is either a Belkin or D-Link that I've seen with this monitoring ability.  Unfortunately the bandwidth caps are very annoying, especially if you find you have someone who is doing peer to peer (P2P) file sharing on your network or if you have a virus/malware that is sucking away your bandwidth.

Even when you can monitor your bandwidth, you might have to argue with your ISP about what you know you used and what they think you used.  Let me know if I can help out more.

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

tindrli

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 10:57:28 PM »
copy that.. thanx for a fast reply :)

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 06:06:02 AM »
No problem.  Did that answer everything for you or do you need any additional information?

-Evan

tindrli

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 06:19:17 AM »
actualy there is.. is there a posibility to hide a "TRAY" icon of the program??? and if the user close app from the try will it keep monitor??

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 06:31:09 AM »
I believe Shane wrote the program with the intention of keeping the tray icon active/shown for easy reference. 

However, Windows does allow you to selectively hide tray icons which will allow you to hide them while keeping them running.  In Windows XP just right click that area around the icons or clock (be sure to click a blank area) and choose "customize notifications" and will be able to hide the icon.  The procedure will be similar in Vista and Windows 7.

Unless I've missunderstood, that should get you fixed.   :smiley:

-Evan

tindrli

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:22:07 AM »
However, Windows does allow you to selectively hide tray icons which will allow you to hide them while keeping them running.  In Windows XP just right click that area around the icons or clock (be sure to click a blank area) and choose "customize notifications" and will be able to hide the icon.  The procedure will be similar in Vista and Windows 7.

HA!!! damn.. i didnt know that.. so simple.. thank you very much for the info operation completed :)

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 06:05:22 AM »
Alright, well since you've got everything working as you want I'm going to close this thread.  If you have any other computer related questions feel free to start a new thread.   :wink:

-Evan

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 06:05:22 AM »