Author Topic: How to choose best port to open for utorrent? - and weird symptoms!  (Read 21911 times)

Offline schweinhundert

• PcWinTech Member
I've recently been getting horrible DL speeds (uploads more ok though, oddly) and thought I'd switch out of the port utorrent says to use, 55641, in case my provider is choking it or something. So I grab a random #, and change the port, and the DL speed jumps immediately from 3 to 50 (which is still crap, but not untypical for me way out in the sticks here). But then it falls off in about 30 seconds back to 3 or so. I tried 3 new ports, and they all do exactly the same thing. While writing this I see it bounced up to 30 for a bit then dropped again. It's been that low all night otherwise.
Any idea what explains this behavior and how I can find a port that works, if that's my problem?
I'm beginning to suspect there's a weird hardware issue - something getting bogged down with traffic in the router...?
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:28:24 PM by schweinhundert »

PcWinTech.com Forums

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: How to choose best port to open for utorrent? - and weird symptoms!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:45:15 PM »
Using the higher port is good. A lot of ISP's throttle p2p traffic, which could explain the bouncing.
Make sure you have utorrent set to use encrypted connections, this can help against the throttling to a point.

This might help you tell if you are
http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest-mlab.php

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

Re: How to choose best port to open for utorrent? - and weird symptoms!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:45:15 PM »