Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: The Best that There Is  (Read 9047 times)

sa7375

The Best that There Is
« on: January 02, 2010, 10:54:29 AM »
Hi Shane,

I purchased the Simple Internet Meter today after a due process of evaluation. This was the best available and does exactly what it claims to do.

I had tried three other bandwidth usage software but none could differentiate between the Local and Internet traffic to produce a report of "internet usage only". I have two computers (a desktop and a notebook) at home. The other bandwidth usage software wouldn't produce a true report for "internet traffic only" which I needed to keep myself within the cap-limits prescribed by my ISP. Simple Internet Meter did that precisely: my compliments for doing an excellent job.

I installed it on Win 7 Professional and every thing from installation and configuration to measurement of traffic went through flawlessly. I do have some feedback for you and you may like to look at it in easy time – nothing urgent. These are:

1. I put my computer to sleep often. When I wake it up, the Simple Internet Meter fails to start even though every thing else comes on line. Why? I guess it’s because it fails to pickup the network adapter quickly. Consequently it displays two popup messages displaying that it's not able to locate the adpater (see attached snapshot). All I have to do is to Refresh and start and it works fine after that. Wonder if that can be looked in to.

2. The email configuration didn't quite work for me. I am a Gmail user and configured it exactly as I have for my MS Outlook including the SSL login.

3. A suggestion for future versions. Consider including contextual-help in various screens if possible. As the modern day computing improves with one-click operations – like the new Accelerators in IE 8.0 – it will be a lot easier to get context-ready-help on various screens.

4. This one is a question. Does Simple Internet Meter not work as a System Service?

Once again kudos to you and your team for producing an excellent bandwidth measurement tool.

Best wishes,
sa7375

[attachments over 25 days old deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:51:08 PM by sa7375 »

PcWinTech.com Forums

The Best that There Is
« on: January 02, 2010, 10:54:29 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: The Best that There Is
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:30:10 AM »
Thanks  :wink:
I'm glad you like my work. Thanks for bringing these problems to me.

On the email settings, I have gmail as well so I will look into that and see whats going on. Just make sure the OSSMTP_Setup.msi was installed. The email program uses the dll to send the emails.

On the returning from sleep problem, The program uses a Windows API to know when the system has come out of sleep. Sounds like it is just a timing problem, the network adapter isn't active yet when the program tries to resume.

So I think the fix for that will be to add a small timer to have the program wait, say 5 sec, after the system has come out of sleep. Then have it auto refresh the list and start back up. What may be even better is to add a option to let the user set how long to wait :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

Re: The Best that There Is
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:30:10 AM »